Chinese-Forums

Replacement weapons for old figurines

roddy

Ok, so we've got these in the house. They're not mine and I'm told they're a few hundred years old and Chinese. They're somewhat bashed and battered. No idea. 

But what I'm actually interested in - if you look at the hands, they're clearly designed to be holding some kind of staff or weapon in both hands. So question: What? And could you get replacements (not originals, obviously, but something that might look like it might be?)

DD07B232-E384-424B-B94C-227DE0F50CA0.jpeg0BE46421-1E16-47C4-A3C1-0F3A8FB057EB.jpegC6BD1038-8ED8-407D-B18E-F6318C579625.jpeg9BB5BDB9-10CF-4328-BA4D-6D4A0EC8571B.jpeg

Although not strictly necessary to answer your question, a view of the bottom is really important to understand the item. (As would be a plain straight-on view of the front and back of the item, not a slanted view.)

A Google Images search on Chinese gesso or Chinese gesso figurine will bring things like this up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-CHINESE-STATUETTE-COURT-FIGURE-WOOD-POLYCHROME-GESSO-STATUE-SHRINE-/113939110478

Are they the 四大天王 you see guarding temple shrines?  Can't get the pics to enlarge but the one with his hand raised reminded me. If so, you only need one weapon, otherwise it's also a brolly and a lute:

spacer.png

多闻天王 is just cupping his ear empty handed.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 5:40 AM, Jim said:

Can't get the pics to enlarge

If you click on the picture I get a larger picture and his snake is clearly visible.

23 hours ago, 大块头 said:

The one with the lute is really metal!

The original The Hu Band?

• Like 1