Chinese-Forums

visa & corona virus

TheWind

I'm in the process of switching my Business visa to a work visa, but I need to exit the country in the next few weeks according to my current visa. 

Which government department could I speak to in regards to this? 

most highways around me are closing, buses are closed, trains too. I'm concerned the flight will be cancelled & even if it's not, it'll be very difficult & costly to get to the airport

I'd imagine the Entry-Exit Administration (eg, in Pudong). I can imagine them turning a blind eye to visa overstays under the circumstances, or canceling the need for the trip, but with a few weeks to go they'd probably just say wait and see, or advise you to go and only come back when things have calmed down. I'm not sure what nationality you are, but there are 'no non-essential travel'  warnings in place from some countries. I'd think twice before ignoring those, and if you have health / travel insurance, check you won't void it by doing so. 

If you're not staying in a hotel, then whenever you visit the Exit-Entry Administration 出入境管理处, be certain you have properly registered your address at the local paichusuo beforehand, and take a copy of the registration with you. This is an absolute must.

according to my friend that I'm staying with for the holiday, local police stations in the area are closed.  so it makes registering difficult.

He also mentioned that the government.  announced that "if your visa expires during this time it will be automatically renewed because of the virus".  However, he was just paraphrasing what he heard from the news, and couldn't provide an article unfortunately

but I don't know for sure

Your friend misunderstood! There is no automatic extension. But if you're under quarantine when your stay expires, you'll be treated lightly. Others must as usual go through proper procedures to extend their visas.

From a report of an interview with the relevant officials:

"对于疫情防控期间外国人如何办理签证延期、停留居留证件的问题,回应指出,疫情防控期间,全国公安机关出入境管理部门将继续为外国人提供签证延期和停留居留证件办理服务,保障外国人合法停留居留,对有紧急需要的将加急办理相关证件。为有效避免人员聚集,公安机关出入境管理部门结合实际将安排预约办证服务,外国人可提前联系、合理安排办证时间。对接待外国人较多的高校、科研院所、企事业单位等机构,出入境管理部门将根据办证需求,视情允许代办证件或提供其他必要的办证便利。

"疫情防控期间外国人签证、停居留证件过期怎么办?回应称,根据中国出境入境管理法规定,外国人应在签证、停留居留证件到期前出境,需要继续在华停留居留的应当到公安机关出入境管理部门办理签证、停留居留证件延期手续。根据有关法律规定和当前实际,对因疫情防控原因难以按时出境且无法及时办理签证、停居留证件延期手续的,移民管理机构可依法依规视情从轻、减轻或免予逾期居留处罚。"

http://www.chinanews.com/gn/2020/01-29/9073032.shtml

Chinese generally don't like to visit the police for any reason, so you have to be a bit cautious when you reach a roadblock like that trying to register.

I've been turned away by the police themselves a few days before Spring Festival when I tried to register a friend years ago. They seemed to be enjoying their tea and cards, and told us to return a week after the holiday. I'm sure they were still doing their jobs, but didn't want to be bothered with trifling matters such as ours at the time. But yes, it's best to err on the side of caution. 

In case it's of any use, I just received this (PDF attached):

国家移民管理局关于新冠肺炎防控期间 移民与出入境管理问题解答

Questions and Answers by National Immigration Administration Concerning Immigration and Exit-Entry Administration during the Period of Prevention and Control on Pneumonia caused by Novel Coronavirus

(Edit: it's in English and Chinese.)

新冠肺炎防控期间移民与出入境问题答复(最后发布稿)(孟).pdf

• Helpful 1