Chinese-Forums

Please translate handwriting on reverse of old photo of Mao

LookingForHelp

Be good to see the picture too for context; can't make out the larger characters above the date but the seven smaller characters beneath say 摄于天安门城楼 which means "Taken at the Tiananmen Rostrum." Does that fit with the picture?

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks for the reply Jim. I did try to upload an image of the front when I originally posted, but two photos took me over the data limit. I've managed to attach it to this message.

Yes, I believe your translation fits with the image. I've been researching the date (August 18th 1966) and it was a significant day. To quote from Wikipedia:

Mao expressed personal approval and support for the Red Guards in a letter to Tsinghua University Red Guards on 1 August 1966.[8] He gave the movement a more public boost at a massive rally on 18 August at Tiananmen Square. Mao appeared atop Tiananmen wearing an olive green military uniform, the type favored by Red Guards, but which he had not worn in many years.[8] He personally greeted 1,500 Red Guards and waved to 800,000 Red Guards and onlookers below.[8]

The rally was led by Chen Boda, and Lin Biao gave a keynote speech.[8] Red Guard leaders led by Nie Yuanzi also gave speeches.[8] A high school Red Guard put a red arm band inscribed with the characters for "Red Guard" on the Chairman, who stood for six hours.[8] The 8-18 rally, as it was known, was the first of eight receptions the Chairman gave to Red Guards in Tienanmen in the fall of 1966. It was this rally that signified the beginning of the Red Guards' involvement in implementing the aims of the Cultural Revolution.

Logic suggests the image is from said rally at Tianamen. Is it possible that the larger characters are Mao's name in some form? 

M1.jpg

• Good question! 1

It looks like 元, but that doesn't make any sense, so I assume that it is the worst handwritten 天 "tien" of all times, and that would make it 天安门城楼,  Tiananmen Chenglou, Tienanmen City Gate Tower.
之 (zhi)
中 (zhong)
= in the middle of ..., date, ... at Tiananmen City Gate Tower.

photo 1.jpg

• Like 1

• New Members

Thank you all for your input. It appears there's definitely some reference to Tienanmen which squares with the quoted date and image. Unfortunately the writing appears to be difficult to decipher, even to those of you that speak the language!