Chinese-Forums

PMs

I just tried sending you a PM then, but when I do it says "889 cannot receive messages."

Have you disabled PMs in your settings anywhere?  or @roddy has a recent update messed something up?

I just tried sending a PM to @roddy and it worked, so PMs are working, I'm just not sure why they're not working for you.  Hopefully roddy will come a long in a bit to sort it out.

In the messenger inbox page (click on the email option, and then choose "go to inbox"), there is an option on the left hand side to "Disable my messenger".  That is how it gets disabled, but I'm not sure what things look like when they are disabled and if there is an option to re-enable them.

Anyway, looking in the admin control panel, it says you have disabled your messenger.  If you can't find the option to re-enable messenger, let me know and I can manually re-enable it.

Imron, did you notice if it said it had been disabled by the member, or an administrator?

Either way... on desktop (should be accessible on mobile also), there should have been a 'messages' link on the username dropdown menu at the very top right of the page. Clicking that would have asked you if you wanted to reactivate your inbox. Although, hang on...

Yeah, if it had been disabled by an admin (although I don't think we'd ever do that, it just makes our life harder as we'd have to email you rather than pm you when necessary) then we could also have turned off the option to re-enable. Certainly not something we've done deliberately, and it would be hard to do accidentally. 

When were you last using your inbox? 

There was no "messages" link in the dropdown. Actually, there still isn't. But now there's an envelope floating at the top of the homepage.

Looks like I last used the inbox about four years ago. I was getting several off-the-board requests to help with Baidu registrations -- you'll recall there was a slew of posts asking for help with Baidu around then -- and maybe I turned messaging off to stop the requests, I don't recall exactly.

No, there shouldn't be the messages link once you've got the icon back. Sounds like everything's back to normal. I had a quick check on the database and there are only three people with pm restrictions who aren't new members or banned or something, so I don't think there's any systemic issue. 

Happy pming. 

12 hours ago, roddy said:

Imron, did you notice if it said it had been disabled by the member, or an administrator?

I did check for this, and it just said "889 has disabled messages" or similar.  He hadn't been placed in a PM restricted user group.