Chinese-Forums

music.

TheWind

hey everyone, hope you're all safe

wanted to ask about good chinese music that would be good for improving listening skills. 

I only really know a few songs, like 我和你 and 爸爸去哪儿 both of which I can li sten to relatively easily.  But, I'm not familiar with any popular bands or singers that would be good for passive listening practice

your help is appreciated, thanks

You can check out my lyrics challenge blog, published on this very site: https://www.chinese-forums.com/blogs/blog/136-chinese-lyrics-challenge/

You don’t have to guess the song based solely on the translated lyrics. If you want to focus on your listening skills, play the short clip and try to figure out what’s being said. Type it into a search engine and see if the results you get actually match. Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t get it, some of them are difficult. In any case, the answer is always provided for each challenge.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It is VERY hard to judge how understandable a song is when you already know what’s being sung, but this might be a good starting point: https://www.chinese-forums.com/blogs/entry/992-challenge-21-a-long-long-time-ago-you-left-me-to-soar-in-a-distant-sky/

Also, I would recommend trying to transcribe all of the lyrics and not just the parts you’re fairly sure about. Then after you get the answer you can compare your notes with the actual lyrics to see how close you got.

Here is a very easy popular song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYYH_ixucQ&feature=emb_title

随它吧

白雪发亮今夜铺满山上
没有脚印的地方
孤立的王国很荒凉
我是这里的女皇
风在呼啸
像心里的风暴一样
只有天知道
我受过的伤

别让他们
进来看见
做好女孩
就像你的从前
躲藏不让
他们看见
已被发现

随它吧
随它吧
回头已没办法
随它吧
随它吧
一转身不再牵挂

我不管
他们想说的话
任风吹雨打
反正冰天雪地我也不怕

这一点点的距离
让一切变精致
曾经困扰我的恐惧
会远离我回忆
现在开始让我看见
是我的突破和极限
不分对错
没有极限
向前

随它吧
随它吧
跟风和天空对话
随它吧
随它吧
眼泪不再掉下
这个家
让我留下
任风吹雨打

我力量从空气中扩散到地上
我灵魂盘旋在冰块各种不同形状
我思想结晶变成锋利的闪光

我永不回头看
以往会被埋葬

随它吧
随它吧
让我在曙光中升华
随它吧
随它吧
让完美被蒸发
这个家
在阳光之下
任风吹雨打
反正冰天雪地我也不怕

(Please don't kill me ?)

Just use QQmusic or XIAOMi music and all lyrics will be included. 

Apart a general interest in what's being sung in the music you like , I think it's pretty pointless way of learning Chinese. Tones, grammar go out the window

Would you recommend people to learn English from music? Rolling stones "I can't get no satisfaction" 

If you’re learning from random songs, it might not be too helpful. If you’re learning from a curated list of songs, it’s similar to learning via poetry, which can be useful.

Because Chinese grammar is more flexible than English grammar, most lyrics (that I’ve seen) do have correct grammar. Word choice tends to be a little eccentric because the lyricist needs to aim for a specific length or needs two words to rhyme.

Listening to melodic songs won’t help with tones, but listening to rap songs absolutely will. You do need to watch out for rappers who rap in their local dialect, but usually it’s very obvious.

not so much for learning persay, but more of passive input

with all the free time due to virus, I find myself watching a lot of tv, movies, YouTube, listing to music, etc.  All of which is in English.  Just figured it'd better to add more Chinese in my daily routine. 

15 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Apart a general interest in what's being sung in the music you like , I think it's pretty pointless way of learning Chinese. Tones, grammar go out the window

Not sure I agree that it's pointless. You can pick up a lot of new words from songs, and listening to songs when you know the words can reinforce what you know. But yes, most important is actually enjoying the music. Listening to music purely for language when you don't like it otherwise sounds miserable. 

12 hours ago, TheWind said:

broad answer - classical, rock, pop, metal and everything in between

李宗盛的理性與感性作品音樂會

12 hours ago, PerpetualChange said:

Not sure I agree that it's pointless. You can pick up a lot of new words from songs, and listening to songs when you know the words can reinforce what you know. But yes, most important is actually enjoying the music. Listening to music purely for language when you don't like it otherwise sounds miserable. 

yup, I'm a huge believer in "the proof is in the pudding" . If it works for you no one should tell you not to do your way!