Chinese-Forums

Tattoo "indifference"

RicBoy

淡然     Tranquil and calm, indifferent  (quite difficult to write correctly and beautifully)

冷漠     Cold and detached - to something, lack of regard, indifference, neglect  This does not really have the same "feel" as the word indifference in english.

I think @Jim's single character suggestion is a good choice, get it done by a talented calligrapher and it should look nice.

There would be something ironic about it all if you just go ahead and with lack of regard to the advice you have been given and indifferent to the way it will look, get this permanently applied to you.

3 minutes ago, RicBoy said:

It does mean indifferent, nothing more and nothing less and in the way I think you are aiming for. Thats why I think its a good suggestion. Also being a single character it should be easier to get it done well.

The pinyin is jiá, this might help you look it up, steer clear of Google translate for anything important, and i think a tattoo is important, well done for double checking and visiting this forum.

Glad you thought it was funny, it was supposed to be:)

I like the second one on the second row, but also sort of like the third on in the first row. But you choose. The further away from the standard form the less readable and more possible mistakes in the calligraphy.

Those fonts are very plain and sort of like using a typewriter font, the ones I pointed out are more artistic but still readable.

what about 捨得

its a chinese concept of 'letting go of something, being willing to part with', sort of similar to your request about stoicism. It will get people talking about your tattoo in a lot more of an interesting way than 恝 too, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1