Chinese-Forums

祝大家新年快乐,天天开心!

cometrue

Hem...I will let the author of this funny reply about pistaches explain to you his thought.

Happy new year to you' date=' Cometrue, and to everybody here!

eat chocolates, on new year's day they don't make fat (芳芳的很有名的成语)[/quote']

yup! i like your cheng yu, fangfang!

Kung Hei Fat Choi = 恭喜發財 (Cantonese greeting for (Chinese) New Year)

Wow it seems the cultural gap within China is wider than I have imagined.

lol, i dont think it's cultural gap, but the misunderstanding was caused by the cantonese "pin yin", if we had talked face to face, i woundnt misunderstand it. anyway i have never learnd the cantonese pin yin, i cant read any of it...

see the "fat", i wonder why there had a "t" with it, seems not reasonable, i dont think you saying 發 with such a pronunciation or trend...

Try pushing your tongue to your front teeth to end the "fa" sound, you will make a silent "t".

Is there a standard Cantonese pinyin? I don't think the common Cantonese pinyin used in HK works that well at all. For example, they use "ai" for both 拜(bai) and 闭(bai), when in fact they are two different sounds. Also Kung Hei Fat Choi, why is it "k" for kung? 恭is pronounced the same way as in Mandarin, it's really "gong". "k" should be used for words like 企(kay),卡(ka)。Also the "ch" in "choi" is misleading, it's not really a "ch" sound, more like a hard "Ts" sound, similar to the mandarin "c". I've heard more and more young native people pronouncing the English "ch" for that hard "ts" sound. They also substitute the English "j" sound for the soft "ts" sound as in 再,谢。