Chinese-Forums

Reasonable price for 1:1 lessons at language schools?

Jan Finster

As of 2020 what are reasonable prices language schools (not Italki, etc) charge for 1:1 lessons in Taiwan and China?

I found several older threads from 2011-2014 and they quoted prices of around NT$ 500 

Here is one: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/35619-mandarin-tutors-in-taiwan/

I saw TMI in Taipei charges NT$ 950 per hour today (I am pretty sure I found a thread from 2014 quoting around NT$ 500/hour too) 

And LTL charges just over NT$ 1000 per hour.

Gateway Chinese Institute, Kaohsiung charges about NT$ 1000/hour

Did prices really double in 6 years? ?

Wenzao Chinese Language Center in Kaohsiung quotes NT$ 520 / 50 min.

http://c040e.wzu.edu.tw/datas/upload/files/index.html

• Good question! 2

I priced 1:1 lessons at several schools in Beijing back in August last year. 

I can't lay my hands on the spreadsheet of research results right now (new laptop), but a couple of months later I posted this:

I was looking around for 1:1 classes in Beijing a few months ago, and found that prices ranged from ¥127 to ¥350 per lesson, which can be defined as anything from 45 to 60 minutes, but typically 50-55 mins.

The ¥350 is definitely way higher than the others — next highest was ¥220 — and almost everywhere I checked offers tiered pricing with lower cost if you book a package of 10, 20, 40 lessons etc in one go.

• Like 3

The fee at MTC at NTNU for individual classes comes out to between NT $750/hour to NT $800/hour depending on number of hours and program length. Their online 1-on-1 seems to range between NT $1000/hour to over NT $800/hour depending on number of hours purchased.

The Chinese Language Division of NTU has two different tiers of private classes, either NT $800/class or NT $1200/class depending on textbook. Class is 60 minutes: 50 minutes coursework, 10 minute break, with a minimum requirement of 20 hours per month.  

• Like 2

Certainly in China, it depends on the fact whether there school can offer a visa or not. So many will beat around the bush on this topic.

I guess you looking primarily at Taiwan. If it were me. I'd sign up to a private teacher and bypass the school completely . That's assuming visa is not an issue

I no longer live in China, however when was last in Beijing in late 2018 - I looked at this as fair 100-120RMB for 1 to 1 for an hour at a private school.

100RMB would be if I paid in bulk (which I mostly did- say for example 30 lessons for 3000RMB)

120RMB if I was only committing to 1 lesson

I would imagine the prices have gone up slightly, but are perhaps lower outside tier 1 cities. Also I always got tutors at private schools, and not coffee shops etc

P.S - I was also reasonably good at bargaining, and had the flexibility to wait for bulk special offers, if they where not offering that month