Chinese-Forums

WOW - The 1 tip to fluency in Chinese that actually worked...

杰.克

... there isn't one (in my experience). 

Nor is there any of these

- A way to go from zero to hero in a short time

- A fool proof way to become fluent

- A mandarin blueprint

- A specific software that guarantees success

- A study method that significantly improves your Chinese

- A specific language partner that this time is going to answer your every woe

- A new years resolution that as long as you stick to it will iron out all your creases

- A youtube video series to fluency in 6 months

I say this, because I have tried every single which way to find a quick ,easy ,more efficient way to learn. I have used in some way or another all of them - Memrise, Skritter, Chinesepod,  Chinese Zerotohero, Chairmans Bao, Group language classes at university, paid tutors, scholarship, language partners , Chinese corners, Chinese friends, Chinese workplaces etc. I have tried to pay my way to fluency, i have tried to new years resolution my way to fluency , I have tried to work smart not hard my way to fluency. Whatever it is ive done it

I say this not to dissuade any of you, because the above all work,  cumulatively. BUT THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET. There is no software that you can pay for, which solves it. 

YOU WILL FIND YOUR OWN PATH to mastering Chinese. And although it doesn't seem like it now (especially in years 1-3 when your grasping for all the easy solutions you can) the journey is the fun part.

You need to try everything, and see what fits where and what you enjoy. If you struggle to sit down for 20 mins every day and practice writing, don't assume at some point you will change and enjoy this. Spend more time speaking to a language partner or vice versa.

Ultimately it will all work out :) you will find you way of mastering it, and when it does you will feel great. Interestingly, you probably need to experience yourself that there is no magic bullet, to realise that there is no magic bullet. And thus reading this post is not going to alter anything for you, so why have I written it? Just to stagepost it for myself.

Anyhow, its not my website at all , I just stumbled upon it today https://www.chinesethehardway.com/, but this encompasses it.

The journey is hard, the journey has to be yours, there is no 1 tip, or easy programme, or new years resolution, and because of that - you gain so much.

• Like 4

haha, that title is the best click bait I have seen in a while - and you are doing it in a way that actually tells the truth (just only once you clicked already).

You want a job in marketing? ?

And your are absolutely right. Dont worry you will get there. If there was one thing most people who get to fluency in Mandarin have in common, it is that they won't give up, even though the whole process is incredibly frustrating, tiring and sometimes just infuriating.

• Like 2

Happy to hear any offers as long as the job is remote :) not being based in China .

Anyhow yes, perseverance is the one important factor. I love, love, love LOVE the chengyu 水滴石穿 meaning dripping water perforates rock. Essentially small continued effort can overcome even the hardest of tasks (or tiny strokes fell great oaks)

One aspect worth mentioning is that everyone needs to find there own study  path and not read "this is how you should study" . Some methods  like 'drilling a dictionary through flashcards' is clearly pointless and others like 'read a lot' is  unquestionably  useful. However some suggestions like 'get the gist of the text and move on', 'focus on increasing your reading speed' are highly  debatable in my view . 

However no harm in trying different options and see what type of learner you are. Be open to new ideas. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...