Chinese-Forums

Site was down, isn't now

roddy

14 hours ago, mungouk said:

(no VPN)...

A friend in Kunming just said VPNs in China had been disabled starting 1 March.  I'm not sure how she would know this for all of China.  She said it was due to a new law.  I'm curious whether others are experiencing this?  Mungouk - Did your VPN start working again?

• 1 month later...

Just in case nobody spotted it... from about 10.30am GMT+1 today I was getting "500" internal server errors and then after that the Cloudflare error screen. It was several hours before I could access the site again.

Yeah, I did have a notice up about it for a couple of hours afterwards, but could have been missed. I think we're just getting a bit too busy for current resources, but I'm currently wobbling between doing that on the current host (which isn't amazing and on the pricey side) and shifting to a digitalocean droplet or similar - which would be a bit of a learning curve for me, but better long run. 

It seems following some archive links ends up on a non-secure connection which my browser didn't like. Was looking up some older stuff about study courses for a friend and also found what seems to be missing pages. Oddly, going through my history to find which those were and as far as I can tell they now work. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

It seems following some archive links ends up on a non-secure connection which my browser didn't like.

It is possible that's the after-effects of moving the domain back and forth. It can take a while for the changes to be picked up by various ISPs - you can end up with an error message on your phone and a working site on your desktop. 

1 hour ago, Singe said:

Good to see it's all back up and running.

It is. To be honest, it could have been up quite a bit quicker - a matter of hours - if it'd been a definite "it's all gone, start from your back up" situation. A lot of the delay was getting the original install back up, setting up a new one with the back up would have been quicker. 

One thing we do seem to have lost is some recent attachments - perhaps from a few days around the 28th. If you notice a post with a missing attachment send in a post report. Hopefully nothing irreplaceable. They may be in a back-up file, but if it's just a picture of someone's lunch...

• Like 3

Besides many, many awful tattoos and the occasional odd inquiry about joining the PLA, this forum has collected a lot of unique experiences during a very interesting time in Chinese history.

Is everything here set up for automatic collection by the Internet Archive?