Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

Jan Finster

Chinese & English expressions that are surprisingly similar

杰.克

Somewhat on topic, wondering if anyone has any insight. A friend was telling me today, that when people say chin-chin (when drinking alcohol) this comes from the Chinese 请

I didn't really know whether this was correct or not? does anyone have any input

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

mungouk

Wiktionary says (under Italian):

From Pidgin English chin-chin (an expression of gratitude, salutation or congratulations), a reduplication of Mandarin  (qǐng, please), misinterpreted as onomatopoeic of two glasses clinking. Compare Portuguese tchim-tchim, tim-tim, Spanish chinchín, French tchin-tchin.

• Like 1

Dawei3

The surmises on 一石二鳥 起源 are just that.  One authoritative source matters much more than lots of people who likely are repeating what someone else surmised or guessed.  

On 4/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, mungouk said:

How might we find evidence that something definitely is a calque/direct borrowing/whatever?

The way the Oxford English dictionary and linguists determine the origin of a word or phrase is by studying documents and seeing when the phrase/word first appeared.  A (surprisingly) fascinating book on this is "The Professor & the Madman, a tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the Oxford English dictionary."  

Google's ngram gives some interesting info on word use and evolution.  

Jan Finster

I recently heard: 我 掐指一算 (I pinch my fingers)

I guess it means "I keep my fingers crossed" (!?)

Jan Finster

我 对天发誓 (I swear to heaven)  = I swear to God

mungouk
On 4/3/2020 at 1:29 AM, Dawei3 said:

One authoritative source matters much more

Well, exactly... this is what I meant by "How might we find evidence that something definitely is a calque/direct borrowing/whatever?"

In other words, what are good sources for finding what scholars have traced and decided in terms of the origins of sayings?

Chinese Colloquialised

@Jan Finster "我掐指一算" is not quite the same as "I keep my fingers crossed". "我掐指一算" means I calculated something with my fingers. It was traditionally used in a fortune-telling context as an expression to mean "prediction", a bit like licking your finger and holding it up in the air to test for rain etc, now it's a play on that context. It's quite difficult to translate and, depending on the circumstance, you could skip it entirely, e.g. 掐指一算,离上学的日子不远了 would be something like "all of a sudden, I don't have many days left before school starts" or just simply, "I don't have many days left before school starts". 

On 4/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, Jan Finster said:

I recently heard: 我 掐指一算 (I pinch my fingers)

I guess it means "I keep my fingers crossed" (!?)

A couple of other similar expressions I came across: 

• A bad workman blames his tools: 人笨怪刀钝
  • A blessing in disguise: 因祸得福
  • A drop in the ocean: 沧海一栗
  • Like 1

道艺黄帝

问天问地

ask heaven and earth (ok so not exactly an English expression, but similar to searching heaven and earth) 

谢诗骐

好久不见。 an import which went the other way to English "Long Time No See"

Jan Finster

In a Chinese translation of a NY Times bestseller I read: 

"从 公众 关切 的 雷达 屏幕 上 消失 了" = Disappeared from the radar of public concern

"Disappear from someone's radar" is this just literally translated or would a Chinese person use that expression as well?