Chinese-Forums

Hallmark on Chinese Antique Silver

LoulouH

The characters look to me to be 尧阶 yáo jiē in the older full-form script. Yao was one of China's legendary emperors and searching just now it seems the steps to his humble abode became a byword for frugality and simple living in a ruler: https://www.cidianwang.com/lishi/diangu/6/8276dl.htm

Couldn't come up with any specific references to it as a hallmark though. Hopefully someone else will know better.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, 889 said:

I'll just let Jim answer that.

:D My knowledge of ceramics is nugatory, unlike 889 who actually provided your previous answer, but a search on the characters 楠部 suggests a Japanese potter called Yaichi Kusube. No idea if that's correct or not though nor whether they're genuine if it is purporting to be his work.

"楠部是昭和時期薩摩燒大師,曾為日本皇室燒造御用陶瓷,其作品被譽尊為日本官窯。"

"Kusube is a Showa-era master potter of Satsuma ware. His kiln produced wares for the Imperial Household, giving it the reputation as a Japanese imperial kiln."

https://blog.xuite.net/slingpc/twblog/130157746-日本薩摩燒‧彩繪金襴手浮世繪文官人物紋案陶製茶心壺%2F茶入(名家楠部彌貳作品)

The two marked items are Satsuma moriage ware: note the raised piping decoration. Moriage ware isn't too easy to make, so it's not often forged.

(Your mark is simply 楠部 Kusube. In Japan, it's not unusual for the son or a grandson to take the elder's place but keep the family name on the pottery, so your piece may or may not be by the senior Kusube, if in fact there is a junior Kusube, I don't even know that. It's just that the mark seems so casually stamped for a work by a master.)