Chinese-Forums

Help with Chinese to English translation

Ori_A

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well in this unwell time.
I'm editing a short independant documentary that I've filmed in China, and I have some difficulties with translating a few expressions from the interviews (for subtitles purpose). My Chinese and English are not bad, but neither is my native tongue, so It's sometimes hard to know what sounds right to native speakers.

1. “没有这条公路的时候是出门就爬坡” - It's an old man in a village, describing the environment in which they live. Not sure how to translate “出门就爬坡" properly.
2. “在家的时间比较短,感情比较淡薄”;“要是过年回去,时间待久一点,感情就会深一点” - So this is a father talking about the relationship with his son. Not sure how to phrase 感情比较淡薄 and 感情会深一点 in English. Would 感情 be more properly translated to "emotions", or "relationship", or any other idea?
3. " 我想让他对我们热情一点 " - A mother who talks about her son. A friend suggested to translate "对我们热情一点" as "open up to us". I think it's not bad, even if not exactly the same meaning. Any other ideas?

That's it, pretty much. Would appreciate any thoughts here.
Thank you!