Chinese-Forums

classical Chinese moocs taught outside of China

samuel inn

• New Members

hello!

I am a Chinese college student major in Chinese language and literature. I am now researching in classical Chinese, I'd like to know and learn about how to teach classical Chinese in English in other countries. please tell me if there are any online courses about that. thanks very much!

12 hours ago, samuel inn said:

hello!

I am a Chinese college student major in Chinese language and literature. I am now researching in classical Chinese, I'd like to know and learn about how to teach classical Chinese in English in other countries. please tell me if there are any online courses about that. thanks very much!

Teaching classical Chinese in the West is a discipline pretty much reserved for PhD students, and there are a dwindling number number of those (and even departments which teach it). Many well qualified sinoligists I have met in the United States even are stuck teaching basic Mandarin at the college level when their true passion and focus is early China. 

As for what you can do now, wyu could try finding some students online who are interested in classical Chinese primarily. Alternatively, consider starting a reading group online with other interested parties. There have been a few attempts and failed starts at doing something like that here. 

I'm pretty sure that many undergraduate courses for Chinese in the UK include both Classical Chinese as well as Modern Standard Mandarin, at least in 2020 at the time of posting: 

At Cambridge, at least in 2020, undergraduate Chinese Studies as part of the AMES Tripos includes compulsory "Literary Chinese" in both Part IA and IB (1st year and 2nd year), and is an option in Part II (generally 4th year).

At Oxford, the undergraduate course in Chinese includes compulsory Classical Chinese in 1st year, is an integral part of the year abroad at 北京大学, and is compulsory in both 3rd and 4th year.

At SOAS in London, the BA in Chinese explicitly refers to "Modern and Classical", and its structure included an Introduction to Classical Chinese in 1st year and a module on Traditional Chinese Language and Literature in 3rd year; but that's under review, as far as I can tell.

At Leeds, the BA in Chinese explicity says Modern, but Classical Chinese is an option in 3rd year.

At Edinburgh, the MA in Chinese starts with compulsory Classical Chinese in 2nd year.

• Like 1