Chinese-Forums

What happens if I refuse CIS after being enrolled?

mesztii

Hello!

I applied for CIS to study a master’s program for two years, therefore I also had to make a contract with a Confucius Institute that if I study a master with CIS then I have to work for that institute for 5 years.

What happens if they accept my application, but I refuse in the end? (Because of another scholarship opportunity)

Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for any help!

7 hours ago, mesztii said:

What happens if they accept my application, but I refuse in the end?

They will hunt you down and kill you like a dog. (Only kidding.) But seriously, wouldn't that be rather dishonest, regardless of your circumstances? Wouldn't it be best to honor your commitment? 

46 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

They will hunt you down and kill you like a dog. (Only kidding.) But seriously, wouldn't that be rather dishonest, regardless of your circumstances? Wouldn't it be best to honor your commitment?

My thoughts exactly (except for the bit about the dog!). Possibly asking for trouble? 5 years is a hefty amount of time - is this standard?

14 hours ago, mesztii said:

What happens if they accept my application, but I refuse in the end? (Because of another scholarship opportunity)

I remember reading in this forum that refusing once you have been selected probably will drastically lower the chances of getting another scholarship in the future. I don't know how truth these claims are, but I wouldn't be surprised.

9 hours ago, abcdefg said:

But seriously, wouldn't that be rather dishonest, regardless of your circumstances? Wouldn't it be best to honor your commitment? 

My bad, it’s not a real contract. It’s more like an agreement saying IF I have the scholarhip and IF I finish that major, I would work for them for 5 years. If I have a better opportunity, of course I would take it.

2 hours ago, Serg said:

remember reading in this forum that refusing once you have been selected probably will drastically lower the chances of getting another scholarship in the future. I don't know how truth these claims are, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, I was expecting something like that. Thank you for your help!