Chinese-Forums

What is the role of 给 in this 把 … 给 V construction?

glu

I've posted this at the Chinese Stack Exchange but didn't get the sort of explanation I'm looking for... I searched for previous posts and found 把...给...Construction on here from back in 2007, but it doesn't deal with the role of 给.

I came across the following sentence in EP340 of the 故事FM podcast:

把一个垃圾桶的盖子给返过来,把小孩放在上面换了尿布。

My question is about the role 给 in the first part, before the comma. Without the 给 it would make perfect sense as a simple 把 + Obj + V + Result construction, as seen in the second part after the comma. With 被 I am familiar with the 被 + Actor + 给 + V passive construction, as in 我就被警察给带走了。

But what's going on here with 把 ... 给 V?I checked in the online Chinese Grammar Wiki, and in Yip Po-Ching's Grammar, but no joy. If you have any insights about the role of 给 here, that'd be awesome. Does the extra 给 alter the meaning, tone or register in any way? When is it legit to include it, and when is it ungrammatical (is its admissibility semantic / does it depend on the resultative complement etc.)?

According “Xiandai Hanyu Guifan Cidian", 给 is put in front of the verb to emphasize the mood of "handling" (this is, it is there to emphasize the action). I would say that it has the same function here as the one in your sentence "我就被警察给带走了", so this means that 给 isn't necessarily used in passive sentences. For instance, i'll show you the example sentences shown below the definition:

1. 他把自行车给修好啦。

2. 茶碗叫我给摔碎了。

So as you can see, the first one is used with 把, while the second one is passive (叫 instead of 被).

Ah, put like this, it makes a lot of sense! Thank you. Can you think of scenarios where 给 is used in this emphasizing function in front of a verb, in a situation where there is no preceding component like the 把+Obj, 叫+N or 被+N in the examples so far?

I think it's not easy to give an example without those because the sentence requires a complement and an objet; since it is almost mandatory to use 把 or 被 when those elements appear at the same time, I can only think of something like 他给抓住了, where the part with 被 is omitted.

45 minutes ago, 889 said:

Maybe it falls into a slightly different category, but there's the command pattern with 给:

给我走!

Yes, that has a different meaning; in that case 给 emphasizes the intention of the speaker. This construction is used in imperative sentences.