Chinese-Forums

New Mandarin youtube Channel

beardanfc

• New Members

Hello everyone,

My colleague has started a great little youtube channel for Mandarin learners. She is making fun little videos aimed at primary students and newer learners of Mandarin.

Take a look and subscribe if you like! Sure she would appreciate that!

This is her most recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfvL7UBuzso&t=55s

Cheers,

Dan

@beardanfc

hi, I had a look. I clicked on the link not expecting very much. However, it was a pleasant surprise.

It’s really good! I like the way she associates images and actions to vocabulary. Also the length is not too long which is good. I have some suggestions:

a) when the subtitles pop up, they do so just before she starts saying the sentence. I found myself reading the pinyin rather than concentrating on what she says. I think the learning effect might be better if she repeats the sentence a second time and only then puts on the subtitle. 

b) I suggest putting the chinese characters above the pinyin and in a slightly larger font to first draw attention to the Chinese character 

c) for the market video, a really nice round up would have been to have the vegetables on a table and her pointing to each vegetable at random saying 這個是什麼菜? 這個是.... (no subtitles for this part in order to reinforce the listening skills)

d) for the animal video, she asks her partner 妳想養小鳥嗎?Her partner just says hmmmmm. I think that’s a lost learning opportunity! The partner can repeat the question and say 我想養小鳥?mmmm, 我不喜歡小鳥。As same as the vegetable video, she can put pictures up of animals and randomly pick them out with 這是什麼?Again, this part without subtitles.

e). Loved the cooking fried rice video. It can be improved if her partner was there learning how to cook from her and repeating aloud some of the sentences in an interactive way. That would help the learner get some reinforcement. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

https://youtu.be/vRPVhVqfkcQ

This one I think is a better video because she repeats a lot of the sentences without the viewer having to manually go back a few seconds to repeat listening. However, I am not sure of the value of plastering big characters and letters and across screen.

Not sure if she realises but she can add subtitles in different languages to her YouTube video rather than within the video editing software. 

I see you guys are based in Hong Kong. The picture that is your avatar. I recognize the background - it's taken in causeway bay/happy valley