Chinese-Forums

when to start learning Traditional before moving to Taiwan

jannesan

Assuming your situation is unchanged and you're planning to go to Taiwan rather than mainland China, I'd just go all in on Traditional.

4 hours ago, jannesan said:

Now with all the 异体字 (in total up to a 1000 I think, need to dig a bit more into this), the effort of learning how to write becomes much higher suddenly.

How many of those are characters you will commonly encounter though?

On 6/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, imron said:

Assuming your situation is unchanged and you're planning to go to Taiwan rather than mainland China, I'd just go all in on Traditional.

I would love to go, but it's not all up to me, so for now I'm not ready yet to fully switch over.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, imron said:

How many of those are characters you will commonly encounter though?

Yea probably not so many, that number (1000) is the length of the "第一批异体字整理表" and quite a few of those were actually simplified after being standardized. Plus there are quite some characters like 却 and 脚, where knowing only one means you know the other. I'll do some more analysis when I have time and update here.

But in any case, in the meantime I should just start reading traditional material regularly, it should not really be a problem for reading comprehension.