Chinese-Forums

Help me with ancestry

daryane tjuk

Hi guys, 

I am busy with a project to get to know my ancestry. 
I am Surinamese Chinese 

Suriname is a country with all sorts of people. Including Chinese people. 
My ancestors were immigrants and were kinda like slaves I guess back in the days. (In the 1800’s) 

I found a document of one of them in a archive. 
a male with the last name “Tjon Asin” 

He was born in China and he came from a city named Kwieshin. 
What I did was I looked it up. But it was unknown. So what I think is that the people there didn’t know how to write down the name of the city and just wrote down what it sounded like or something? Can y’all help me and find out which city this is? It would be a great help! 

There was a county in Guangxi called guì xiàn 贵县 that was renamed Guigang when it was made a city in 1988, I wonder if that's possible? Apparently early Chinese migrants to Suriname were mostly Hakka indentured labourers from the Pearl River Delta so perhaps Guixian is wrong but doesn't seem impossible.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Here is a small book (https://trotters41.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/chats-about-china-sally-ellis.pdf) written in the 1920's about a river-boat journey from Hong-Kong to Kwei Hsien travelling from the Perl River delta (Macao) up the West River to Wuzhou then on to Kwie Hsing (now Guigang) . It appears there was a French Catholic Mission there. There is mention of a road being built to a town called Pakhoi on the coast. I think that is Beihai .

The connection of the name Kwei Hsing with Guigang is on this page https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-11-HMS_Moorhen.htm.

• Like 2