Chinese-Forums

I won't do it (anymore)! [translation] 不干了!{?}

LiSiCen

Situation: a child did something bad or wrong, for example broke something and he or she trying to avoid punishement gives a promise not doing / not acting / not behaving like that anymore.

Will you do it (again)?  -- asks parent.

I won't! -- answers child.

How do you say in chinese that "I won't!"

Is 不干了!good as the answer?

• Good question! 1

In Chinese, you normally echo the question in that kind of situation, so the precise response depends on the precise question.

Most commonly, I suspect, the parent simply says 你干嘛! in a harsh tone. And the child responds by crying.

What the OP was trying to convey was the notion that he would not do it again, that he would not do it anymore. Including 再 in the statement expresses that. It conveys the admission that the speaker mistakenly did do it once, but has learned his lesson. He is repentant. 

我再不做 or 我再不干 or 我再不会 captures that "repetition aspect"  of the statement. "I won't do it anymore," I won't do it again." 

For emphasis one could certainly add 了。

我再不做了 or 我再不干了 or 我再不会了 = "I sure won't do that anymore. So sorry, Mom. Really, I promise, cross my heart and hope to die. Never again."