Chinese-Forums

HSK online test "at home edition" 居家网考 May-June 2020 (COVID special)

mungouk

Back to the software needed to actually sit the official online "at home" exam...  It's Windows 7/8/10 only (but Mac users see below).

You need to download the software from here: https://test.chinesetest.cn:36165/client.html

I found that the client program wouldn't run at all until I installed the Microsoft visual C++ 2015 Redistributable runtime that's also linked from the page. 

(Confusingly, included in the ZIP file there are config files with a ".exe" extension... these aren't the client program.  Look for the icon with the Hanban logo as below, and run that.)

609530049_Screenshot2020-06-07at15_51_30.png.81d103a1824d55778f2b88df5340bfc5.png        151340732_Screenshot2020-06-07at15_46_55.thumb.png.075c20e61fbc6044f5817fda7aa8b27e.png 

You should run the client program ahead of time to make sure it works with your camera, microphone and headphones. When you run it you can choose English, Chinese, Japanese or Korean as the user interface language.

It seems there's no way to quit the program once it's running, and ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work either... presumably to stop meddling/cheating. I had to restart Windows to get out of it.

Detailed instructions in Chinese about the 28 June 2020 test were posted on WeChat on 3 June... attached is a PDF of the English translation via Google Translate.

For what it's worth... I'm a Mac user. To get this far I downloaded and installed a 14-day free trial of Parallels Desktop, which then automatically downloads and installs Windows 10 in a virtual machine. As far as I know, Windows 10 will run without being officially registered with Microsoft for up to 90 days. 

Announcement on opening additional test sessions of HSK Home Network for overseas on June 28.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

You should run the client program ahead of time to make sure it works with your camera, microphone and headphones. When you run it you can choose English, Chinese, Japanese or Korean as the user interface language.

It seems there's no way to quit the program once it's running, and ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work either... presumably to stop meddling/cheating. I had to restart Windows to get out of it.

Yes, I need to get on with ordering some equipment. I don't have webcam or headphones and microphone.

ah interesting in your picture, because when I downloaded this exam software, it says click on the one below the .exe file, and nothing happened,

I'll try the one you suggest now.

4 minutes ago, TaxiAsh said:

Yes, I need to get on with ordering some equipment. I don't have webcam or headphones and microphone.

I notice all of them seem to have built in mics, but I guess this is no good?

Must be headphones and headset microphone?

8 minutes ago, mungouk said:

You would need an adapter something like this, assuming the plug on your headset is "TRRS" type with 4 rings on the barrel of the plug.

actually all the headphone and mic set ALL seem to only have one connector, so I'll need this either way!

Apparently HSK 4 is at 9am on 28 June. 

So I would guess that level 2, 4 and 6 exams will be at 9am and levels 1, 3, 5 at 1.30pm...  (or at least, that's how Sheffield did it on 29 May).

(They did tell me they were going to do all levels 1-6, but I notice their online store — where you have to pay — currently only includes 1-5.   Edit: now includes all 6 levels)

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

Apparently HSK 4 is at 9am on 28 June. 

So I would guess that level 2, 4 and 6 exams will be at 9am and levels 1, 3, 5 at 1.30pm...  (or at least, that's how Sheffield did it on 29 May).

(They did tell me they were going to do all levels 1-6, but I notice their online store — where you have to pay — currently only includes 1-5.)

I got my confirmation email through from MsChen. I've asked about HSK2, so looks like I might be doing 2 before 1! yikes! that might knock my confidence when I cock up HSK2! haha

On that mock test site you screen shot on bottom of page 2, I worked out the problem it thinks my nationality is Chinese, but when I try to change to English, it won't accept it, as it won't accept my phone number! I've tried it in 100 different ways, so for now I'm stuck with the Chinese version! Ah well, I suppose it'll get me more used to characters!

2 hours ago, mungouk said:

Most of the pages on that mock test site have a drop-down menu in the top-right of the page to change between 中文 and English, do you not see it?

I wish the email subscription worked in here! I didn't see this.

Yes on the homepage you can swap between eng/chinese, however in the tests themselves, everything is in characters. (unless it always is!)

4 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Yes, see the screen caps in the earlier post... all Hanzi apart from in the test questions. 

Good, so long as I know. Just trying to register for hsk2 now, it doesn't like the photo upload part!! had this last time!

4 minutes ago, roddy said:

Looks like you've got automatic subscription turned off and you haven't manually subscribed - see 'follow' button at top right. 

ok thanks roddy.

I thought I was as I sometimes get them. I just got 2 now, you and mungouk's. Maybe I'm only getting email if quoted. I'll check the settings now, thanks for your help :)

1 minute ago, roddy said:

Yeah, quotes / @ mentions and replies are handled differently (although you should only get one notification per post max, I think. 

got it!

I don't mind getting more than necessary on this thread, as lots of info.