Chinese-Forums

HSK online test "at home edition" 居家网考 May-June 2020 (COVID special)

mungouk

1 hour ago, TaxiAsh said:

yes this is good

especially for learning characters

I like the option to learn more about each word. All the related words, very useful

Great app this @mungouk thanks for recommendation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mungouk said:

Again there is no exit option at this point so I had to sign out of windows to get control back, which crashes the client. (I didn't want to press the "Submit Paper" button in case it only allows one attempt.)

Hi all, I took the at home version of the HSK and HSKK on the 29th so I thought I'd chime in. Quick tip, if you want to stop during the sample test, press (Fn)+Alt+F4 and it should take you out of the software. Best of luck to everyone preparing for your exams!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

10 hours ago, lulu2064 said:

I took the at home version of the HSK and HSKK

Hi @lulu2064 welcome to the forums and thanks for adding to the knowledge base!

So the software can cope OK if you do two different tests on the same day... how does that work?  Does it download each test just before you sit it? 

Which institute administered your test?  Would you like to describe your experience?  I guess your results will come through in a few days?

Thanks!

• Like 2

@mungouk

Yes exactly, each time you login for an exam the software downloads it just before you sit it. I know a student who took 2 different HSK exams and the HSKK on the 29th, so as far as I know as long as the timing works out the software should hold up fine. Once it's downloaded, a timer on the screen counts down to the scheduled start time. The exam itself is formatted and run exactly like the mock exams available once you download the software, so I highly recommend you give those a test run.

On test day you open the test paper using your Admission Ticket number and a specific password given by your test site.
The coordinator at my test center created a WebEx meeting room for all students and test proctors for live troubleshooting in case anyone had problems during the exam. This will probably differ depending on your specific test center. In my case, the exam coordinator emailed the password for each exam ~30min before start time and we were asked to login to both to the exam software and to the WebEx room.

According to the website, HSK test results will be issued 10 days after the test and 25 days for the HSKK. My HSK results are already posted online, still waiting on the HSKK. I took my exam at the Confucius Institute at UNC Charlotte. They are also holding another HSK/HSKK online home edition exam on June 28 if anyone is interested. Hope this is helpful!

• Helpful 1

@TaxiAshI’m not sure exactly, but I think it’s once per level (though since the only identifying information they ask for is your email you might be able to take the same level 2x using a different email). From what I saw, the questions are pulled directly from exams already available online, the mock test just gives you a better feel for the timing since everything is controlled by the system after you login. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

OK I'm all setup - had to make a bank transfer to the han ban UK Committee and I think Nottingham can refund me, that's it time to actually do a bit of work! 

I'm thinking the writing section is pinyin right? I type pinyin all day so if I do worse than when I failed the (actual) written hsk 5 I'll be well upset haha.

I've consistently getting about 60/70% in the audio ting li on the few mocks i've done last few nights (For HSK 5 is it 1.5 or  2 marks each for the first 20 questions and then the next 25 is probably 2.5 or there abouts?) Have a good chance with the writing - will come down to the reading which is piss poor to be honest....

Thanks for everyone's help!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ∞保罗∞ said:

the writing section is pinyin right?

Yes, and on this software it seems they are using their own built-in IME which is really annoying, because you can only type one character at a time (and it only displays a choice of 5 characters at a time), so this really slows down typing.

1886449526_Screenshot2020-06-10at18_19_14.thumb.png.ae703f2c6b6502e4778cbfac4e624b73.png

I guess they probably had to do this to prevent the local IME giving clues to what particular character to use, since it tends to choose the best match according to collocation.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mungouk said:

they are using their own built-in IME which is really annoying, because you can only type one character at a time (and it only displays a choice of 5 characters at a time), so this really slows down typing.

OK, so I'm glad I didn't wait until just before the exam before doing the "official" mock test, because it turns out I need to work on this.

Going through my answers for Q96-100 (the only actual "writing" in HSK 4) with my teacher just now, I realised I made typos in nearly all of the answers, such as entering   instead of 告诉, and writing 便 instead of  挺便宜 in the socks example pictured above. 

I will need to concentrate a lot more on looking at the Hanzi properly in this built-in IME, with the small pixellated characters.  So I'm going to have to practice W.R.I.T.I.N.G O.N.E  C.H.A.R.A.C.T.E.R  A.T  A  T.I.M.E. and checking every component.

• Like 1

Regarding the downloadable mock tests (via ExamClient.exe)... I just did another HSK 4 mock test and the questions were different from the last time I did one.

I also did an HSKK test to try it out, and I'm not registered for that, so it doesn't seem to be checking. 

In fact, I'm wondering if anyone can just download the software and try it out regardless... when "logging in" it does seem to insist on me using the same email that I use to login to chinesetest.cn but that's about it.

29 minutes ago, Milkybar_Kid said:

Anyone else unable to download the client? I keep getting 'This site can't be reached'.

Give it a few days and try again, there are probably loads of people applying now.

If not, I'm sure someone will here know how to share it as a file.

I managed to download it last week, but not ran it yet

Just now, Milkybar_Kid said:

If anyone could do upload it to a file-sharing site it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

I would if I knew how, but someone will know, so I wouldn't panic yet!

I had trouble with it too because it's a zip file, and I don't have winzip!

I'm not actually sure yet if I've done it right!