Chinese-Forums

HSK online test "at home edition" 居家网考 May-June 2020 (COVID special)

mungouk

I just came across this notice dated 8 May 2020 on the ChineseTest website which says that certain test-takers will be able to do the online test at home on May 29.

From the instructions it looks like you have to use a Windows PC.  See link to the PDF "enclosure".

Also worth noting that they just started operating a Twitter and YouTube account (and supposedly Facebook too, but I couldn't find it).

They've posted a short Q&A on the "home edition" test at https://twitter.com/HSKTestOfficial/status/1259145212825395213

----------------------

Affected by the coronavirus pandemic, HSK and HSKK tests from February to April in mainland China and parts of countries overseas have been postponed or canceled. In order to meet the urgent need of HSK test takers worldwide of applying international Chinese language teacher scholarship in 2020(Confucius Institute Scholarship)and annual review of undergraduate, study abroad, graduation and employment, etc. Chinese Testing International Co.,Ltd.(CTI) decides to conduct HSK, HSKK online test (home edition) from May 27th to 31st refers to the home test policy of TOEFL and IELTS. The relevant matters are hereby notified as follows:

I. Test taker who wants to apply an international Chinese teacher scholarship in 2020 would be participated in the test (HSK, HSKK) held during May 27 to 29. Test takers should contact their institution or nearby test centers to complete test registration before May 22;

II. Undergraduate with Confucius scholarship who needs to sit for the annual review would be taken the test (HSK, HSKK) held during May 30 to 31. Test takers should contact their institution or nearby test centers to complete test registration before May 25;

III. Other test takers could take the online Chinese test (home edition) held on May 29. Test takers should contact their institution or nearby test centers to complete test registration before May 22;

IV. Admission tickets will be handed down to the test takers 3 days before the test. HSK test result will be issued 10 days after the test while 25 days after the test for HSKK result on the website www.chinesetest.cn. Test takers themselves could apply for the “extra score report” which could be sent to the individuals or institutions;

V. The test would be held online at home. The equipment, surroundings and instructions of registration are attached.

Each test center please pay high attention to the test. Any question please contact CTI. Matters of the test please see at the enclosure.

Contacts: Liu Xiaolong, Wang Feifei

Tel: 010-59307630、010-59307634

Email: liuxl@chinesetest.cn, wangff@chinesetest.cn

Enclosure: Instruction of Online HSK Test (Home Edition) from May 27 to 31

HSK test has opened official accounts in overseas media which could offer Chinese language learners the information of study abroad in China, welcome to subscribe!!

YouTube: HSK Official

Twitter: @HSKTestOfficial

Facebook:@HSKTestOfficial

• Like 2

That's interesting. I can't see any Scottish centres mentioning it, but it's only been a couple of days. Looking at the PDF, I see you have to download and install their software. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if they've come up with a decent piece of software that quickly. As for "It is forbidden to take the test in public areas such as parks, internet cafes, restaurants, etc." - chance would be a fine thing...

Are you signing up?

The software needs a Windows PC, which I don't have. 

And access to your camera, I think... presumably they will expect the test centre to spy on you while you do the test, like they did with high schools and the mock gaokao exams earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more details (in Chinese) on the online "at home" version of the forthcoming exams, via the 汉考国际CTI WeChat account. 

Apparently they're for HSK 4-5-6 and HSKK intermediate and advanced.  Exam date June 5, registration deadline May 30.

Given that HSK 4 and 6 exams start at 9am China time I can't imagine many folk in Europe will be signing up.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/V9MGHsQUtYYVjaS8F5LF_A

You have to run a video conferencing client on your phone and use it to show what you're doing on your screen during the test.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was in that position, I'd get to the point where I felt ready, then take a mock exam under the closest I can get to exam conditions, maybe use an online tutor for the speaking. Then plan from there. I don't think there's any word on when actual exams might start up again in the UK. 

I'd really like to hear from anyone who did the online test. 

The 汉考国际CTI WeChat account has just published a report on the "Home" HSK tests (in Chinese), which they're calling HSK居家网考2.0版本... HSK Home Online Test version 2.0.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/7l1q7-TZVBNjRWHKMFsrMQ

The report says they ran a pilot in April in Russia, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom, Spain, and Romania, and then the HSK and HSKK tests at the end of May were conducted in 54 countries.

It'll be interesting to see whether they keep developing this "2.0" model after Covid-19 is over (if there is such a thing).  I expect it would be very popular.

@TaxiAsh they just announced another online test for 28 June, with the registration deadline "before" 18 June.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/em0cz7QWjjHemeOYBI3t_g

You need to contact your test centre.  (I had a look on www.chinesetest.cn but the only UK test centre showing tests coming up on their site is Goldsmiths in London.)

You will need a PC running Windows 7, 8 or 10 and an "independent camera" or phone with a camera you can point at yourself so the test centre can watch you.

Hi there, sorry I didn't see the response, I only just got an email!

Thanks, yes, I'll have a look at this.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:53 PM, mungouk said:

btw HSK 2 isn't that much of a step up from HSK 1.

If you have more time than expected, you might want to just aim for HSK 2. 

Yes, I think I'm probably nearly ready for 2 aswell.

But I want to do 1 just to get used to the test conditions.

Depending on dates I can do it, if it's a month or 2 away, might do both in one day

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any UK centres which are running this online test? Would it be held at a reasonable time here? Or would I have to get up in the middle of the night here in England to comply with Beijing time? Thanks

I don't know how we find out which centres are running it... these at-home tests don't seem to be listed on chinesetest.cn

When I contacted the Sheffield Confucius Institute (see above) they suggested I also contact other UK centres to see what they're doing.

It all seems a bit ad hoc

Here's a list of members of "Confucius Institute Network UK" (CINUK) which I guess should include them all.  Taken from this page over at Manchester Uni.

Edit: I just emailed them all to find out what their plans are.  Apart from Cardiff, whose website was down, and UoW/Trinity St David, who have buried their email address and I'm too tired to dig for it just now.   (I managed to email Cardiff and UWTSD now.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mungouk said:

When I contacted the Sheffield Confucius Institute (see above) they suggested I also contact other UK centres to see what they're doing.

Yes, that's who I emailed, but no response as yet.

I'll check in if I hear anything

15 hours ago, Milkybar_Kid said:

Would it be held at a reasonable time here? Or would I have to get up in the middle of the night here in England to comply with Beijing time?

The exams are administered and invigilated by local test centres, and presumably the staff wouldn't want to get up in the middle of the night either!

For the last batch of tests on 29 May, Sheffield CI listed the levels and times as follows:

• For HSK1, HSK3 and HSK 5, at 13:30 (entry/login at 13:00).
  • For HSK2, HSK4 and HSK 6, at 09:00 (entry/login at 08:30).
  • For HSKK Basic, Intermediate and Advanced, at 16:30 (entry/login at 16:00).

Some replies to my emails are starting to trickle in, regarding the at-home tests run by UK Confucius Institutes.

• Edinburgh - not doing them
  • Nottingham - doing HSK 1-6 on 28 June.  See website for registration and payment details; also this PDF.
  • Sheffield - haven't decided yet
  • Manchester - planning them for early September
  • London South Bank University (TCM institute) - not doing them
  • Lancaster - not doing them
  • Hanban UK (Chinese Proficiency Test UK Committee / China HSK UK Committee / 英国汉语考试委员会) - doing HSK 1-6, HSKK, YCT1-4 on 28 June.  Register on chinesetest.cn

• Confucius Institute at UNC Charlotte (North Carolina, USA) are also confirmed as running the at-home exam on 28 June.

I also got a reply from Hanban UK confirming these are the defined local times and exams that CI centres may (or may not) be offering on 28 June:

Applicants:     HSK1-6, HSKK, YCT1-4 candidates.

Exam Dates:  28 June 2020 (Sunday)

Local Time:
                        HSK2, 4, 6 start @ 09:00

HSK1, 3, 5 start @ 13:30

YCT start @ 09:00
                        HSKK start @ 16:30

Registration Deadline: 12 days before the exam. (16th Jun is the deadline for the exam on 28th Jun.)

I'll update this post if/when I get more replies.

Final edit:

• I didn't get any replies to my emails from UCLan, Liverpool, Cardiff, UWTSD, LSE, SOAS and Edge Hill. 
  • From Sheffield's web site it looks like they decided not to run any more exams over the summer and will focus on in-person tests from December 2020.

Edited by mungouk
final edit
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Some replies to my emails are starting to trickle in, regarding the at-home tests run by UK Confucius Institutes.

• Edinburgh - not doing them
  • Nottingham - doing HSK 1-6 on 28 June.  See website for registration and payment details; also this PDF.
  • Sheffield - haven't decided yet

I'll update this post if/when I get more replies.

Legend! Thank you so much

I wonder if they are going to replicate the true HSK experience by piping in the noise of chatting students or broadcasting video of your test proctor painting their fingernails?

The last time I took the HSK I had to flail my arms around every few minutes because the lights in the testing room were on a motion sensor. I'm not sure how they'd duplicate that.

• Like 2