Chinese-Forums

I started a newsletter to help you learn to read the news in Chinese

kailoh

You've got a lot useful translations of current terms there. But it's hard on the eyes to read the Chinese text because you've broken it apart, putting English explanations and translations after each sentence.

The original Chinese texts are all short, so just display them in full and then put all the explanations and translations at the end. And you don't need to number the translated words in the Chinese text. That just makes the text harder to read.

• Like 3

Thanks! Lots of useful vocabulary. I read the one about taking a flight post-pandemic, which is a topic I have been following. 疫情过后坐飞机?可能要提早四小时到机场

Edited to Add: The layout seems fine to me. I'm not really reading it for a quick update on the news; I'm reading it for topical language practice. 

Removing the numbering is a good move. 

For a less proficient reader like me, having the vocabulary after two sentences seems ok. 

Perhaps you can have initially have the whole text as @889 suggested, and then do what you do now below it. That would cater for those who can read quite well as well as those at a lower level. 

looks miles better without the numbering, and god move on putting the test yourself questions at the end of sections, all round looking like a good project, definitely a valuable resource for bridging the intermediate gap

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @kailoh

thank you very much for your work. I've just subscribed, as for me it seems the perfect way to improve my Chinese and be able to read the news. About me, I'm in an HSK4 level right now, well, since a couple years ago, and it's hard for me to find a good way to improve my Chinese on my own. I've tried (am trying in fact) several methods, used several webpages, several podcasts... but maybe my brain refuses to learn, or maybe I haven't found a suitable and good method for me to advance.

Given my profile and circumstances, the way you have written your entries is quite good for me: short articles so I don't get bored (nor take several weeks to master every one of them, as I do with the other podcasts/articles I've been using without success), explanations close to the text, recent topics that we can see in our own countries and are ... Very good, indeed!

Thanks again. And please, yes, continue with this work!!! I'm sure many people will find it useful.

• 1 month later...

Hi @kailoh,

I’ve read your comments in your last post at chinesenewsclub. It’s a pity that you discontinue your work writing the articles, but of course if you don’t have time and feel much pressure, you must take that (right) decisión. 

I want to let you know that this was the best resource I found to improve my Chinese after some years looking around and trying some others. Obviously everyone has a different situation regarding learning, and everyone wants something different. For me, stuck after passing HSK4, struggling to improve my vocabulary and trying to get as much input as possible, reading your articles was very nice and productive, and I have been doing it daily since I knew your website. 

Thanks again for your work; I’ll use the 75 articles you have published since they will be very useful for me, and I’m sure more people will do the same. 

I wish the best for you.