Chinese-Forums

basic phrases

s.jin_410

• New Members

hello, people of chinese-forums

I'm a Chinese person born Canadian, but my parents and I haven't had the time to teach me how to read Mandarin growing up and now I'd like to learn how to type a few sentences that are often used in conversation. This might be a lot to ask, but if anyone would like to help it would be greatly appreciated. I can read pinyin no problem, so I can follow a pinyin-hanzi format.

Thank you for taking your time

I'm not sure what kind of help you want. Sounds like you just need to sit down and learn characters.

If you already can speak Chinese (which seems to be what you imply in your post), then probably the quickest way to just learn characters is to use something like the "Remembering Simplified Hanzi" series by Heisig. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to get good reviews.

You would need to supplement this with reading to retain your knowledge for the long term. I suspect that after you've worked through all the Heisig books, you'd be ready to start tackling native level material, in which case anything you're interested in would do. Otherwise you could try graded readers which use a restricted number of characters. An alternative would be to use children's books which have the pinyin printed above the characters (although that may be counterproductive, as it is tempting then not to look at the characters).

To me, as a non-native speaker of Chinese, if you already know the language, learning to read and type may be a bit laborious and time-consuming, but should not be difficult. Personally, I would also learn how to write (at least the common characters) by hand, as it will help you to appreciate the characters in more depth, and will probably help you in memorising them, but that is optional. You can watch YouTube videos on how to write characters - I like the calligraphy videos (even if writing with a pen/pencil) as it helps with character aesthetics.