Chinese-Forums

Recording audio from Skype or Italki sessions?

Jan Finster

I wonder what the best method is to directly record audio only from Skype or Italki sessions with your Mandarin tutor? In the past I would sometimes use my phone,  but the quality is very variable. Is there a good way to record it directly (=without going through the laptop speakers first)? 

2 hours ago, 889 said:

I'd have to check the New Words thread to know what a video conferencing platform-independent option is. But you mean something like Zoom?

? in German this makes total sense . We like long words like "Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister" (head district chimney sweep)  ?

2 hours ago, suMMit said:

I've just turned on Audacity and it records just fine.

Yes, this is what I meant. A program you can use that records Zoom, Skype and any other online chat system. ?

I did not know it works. I will try.

I've just turned on Audacity and it records just fine.

Really? I couldn't get it to work and bought a third party program. This was before skype brought back the recording feature

What settings does your audacity have?

Audacity1.thumb.jpg.f0e4c3446a6097e3a8db3634a209614b.jpg

If you really need to be able to record arbitrary programs' audio then you can probably use Quicktime player on the Mac ("New Audio Recording") in the same way you can make screen recordings.  I use a thing called Audio Hijack, which works for absolutely everything.

But Zoom, Skype, DingTalk, and probably most others have built-in recording anyway.

7 hours ago, Flickserve said:

Really? I couldn't get it to work and bought a third party program. This was before skype brought back the recording feature

What settings does your audacity have?

I mean when you use Audacity your just recording from the speaker, so you will sound perfect but the teacher sounds a bit tinny. It was good enough for me, but as I say I didn't really enjoy listening back to my lessons anyway.

mean when you use Audacity your just recording from the speaker, so you will sound perfect but the teacher sounds a bit tinny.

oh. I see. I never considered that method as I wanted to try and keep the clearest quality possible. I haven’t had an online lesson in a long time now.