Jump to content
Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

  • Why you should look around

    Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

    Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Jabri

Currently enrolled in CSC, but planning to apply other scholarship

Recommended Posts

Jabri

Hello everyone, I'm currently studying MBA in China under the Chinese Government Scholarship(CGS). However, I am interested to apply for scholarships in other countries. My question is, since I am currently enrolled in MBA in China under CGS, should I write it down in my other scholarships applications that I am now enrolled in MBA and under the sponsorships of CGS ? This also goes to should I also write it down in my CV that I am currently studying MBA and financed by the CGS? For ur information, I'm now just about to finish a 1 year studies this July. I have another 2 years left of my studies.

Please help. Thank you so much. I hope anyone who've undergo similar experiences can give their opinions. I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

ZhangKaiRong

If you're planning to apply for scholarships in other countries, then you're not obliged to mention under what programme you're studying in China. You can highlight it (or if it's a proper MBA, they will probably ask about it in the interview), but it probably wouldn't make any difference for considering your application.

 

Just out of curiosity: where are you studying a 3-year long MBA? Isn't it a normal master's degree in the field of business?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabri
21 hours ago, ZhangKaiRong said:

You can highlight it (or if it's a proper MBA, they will probably ask about it in the interview), but it probably wouldn't make any difference for considering your application.

What do you mean by 'wouldn't make any difference for considering your application' ? You mean by letting them know that I am currently enrolled in MBA under the CSC scholarship, it won't increase nor decrease my chances of getting the other scholarship?

 

It's very normal here in China with a 3 years MBA program for international students

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZhangKaiRong
4 hours ago, Jabri said:

What do you mean by 'wouldn't make any difference for considering your application' ? You mean by letting them know that I am currently enrolled in MBA under the CSC scholarship, it won't increase nor decrease my chances of getting the other scholarship?

 

It's very normal here in China with a 3 years MBA program for international students

Yes, exactly - it does not impair nor increase your chances. It's a factual statement. How you fund your current studies is irrelevant for applying other scholarships, especially because the universities you applying for are not in the same country where you are currently enrolled.

 

I was just asking because there is a different concept behind MBA in China and the West :) Chinese call many business disciplines on the master's degree level as MBA. Also, in China there is very limited or no previous work experience is required for applying for MBAs, while in many Western countries it would be impossible. And due to the admission requirements, potential candidates have limited time for attending the MBA program because of career reasons, so most universities offer 1 to 2 years programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabri
44 minutes ago, ZhangKaiRong said:

How you fund your current studies is irrelevant for applying other scholarships, especially because the universities you applying for are not in the same country where you are currently enrolled.

My concern is that since I am now currently enrolled in an MBA program with scholarship and about to finish a 1 year studies, it may gives a bad impression to the scholarship panel. They may think that I'm 'job hopping'(scholarship hopping).

 

Yeah you're right.  Wow really ? That's something new for me to learn. And my cousins and friends actually asked me the same thing when I said an MBA program with a 3 year period. It's out of the ordinary 1 or 2 years.

 

Btw, what do you think if I use 'chinese language studies' instead of mba ? Since I'll have a 9 months gap without the mba program

 

P.S : Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the other scholarship that I am about to apply was also a master's program. So that's why I am asking for opinion regarding this and really appreciate everyone's input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mungouk
57 minutes ago, Jabri said:

it may gives a bad impression to the scholarship panel.

 

I would agree with that. 

 

From my own limited experience of handing out postgraduate grants, I would really want to avoid giving it to someone who will give up part way through the programme.

 

Not only does this mean that someone else (probably more committed) on the shortlist could have been successful, but it may also result in the college being allocated fewer grants in future.  (I'm not sure if scholarships are affected by the same criteria.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabri
17 hours ago, mungouk said:

 

I would agree with that. 

 

From my own limited experience of handing out postgraduate grants, I would really want to avoid giving it to someone who will give up part way through the programme.

Yes, that means in some way somehow I need to avoid writing my current master's program(MBA) in my CV and scholarship application. 

 

Do you work in the university as a professor or maybe lecturer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZhangKaiRong
24 minutes ago, Jabri said:

Yes, that means in some way somehow I need to avoid writing my current master's program(MBA) in my CV and scholarship application. 


Which would essentially mean lying in your application package. A much more elegant way would be to reveal it and provide a reason why you think it was not a good fit for you, and why you think that you are more passionate about this new programme. Integrity is a value, regardless of academics or business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajkihn

@Jabri I read the thread to understand the situation, well... it depends, if you would need to quit on your current scholarship and MBA it would look bad, but if for example you are allow by the MBA in China to go to other country for a year for example and complete that other master under a scholarship in reality should not be a problem, I met people doing double PhD in China one in their country and the one in China was to continue their research and they were allow because they perform for both programs well.

 

I am not sure your situation, but if you will quit your current scholarship it would look bad, but if you will continue your MBA and take this Masters as an exchange I think actually it could boost your application, but your letter of intention should be clear of the main goal of this process, also why not to ask permission to take another degree to your supervisor and the university in China? they actually allow it specially if it will give them good reputation and you have the chance to provide collaboration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mungouk
On 5/20/2020 at 1:56 PM, ZhangKaiRong said:

A much more elegant way would be to reveal it and provide a reason why you think it was not a good fit for you,

 

I would be inclined to agree with @ZhangKaiRong ... it would be better to be honest about it, but you would need to clearly explain a good reason for why you decided to switch, rather than looking like you couldn't be bothered finishing your current programme. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabri
9 hours ago, ajkihn said:

I read the thread to understand the situation, well... it depends, if you would need to quit on your current scholarship and MBA it would look bad, but if for example you are allow by the MBA in China to go to other country for a year for example and complete that other master under a scholarship in reality should not be a problem, I met people doing double PhD in China one in their country and the one in China was to continue their research and they were allow because they perform for both programs well.


I got your points, however, the thing is CSC strictly didn't allow anyone to have a double scholarships. That's the main thing.

 

5 hours ago, mungouk said:

I would be inclined to agree with @ZhangKaiRong ... it would be better to be honest about it, but you would need to clearly explain a good reason for why you decided to switch, rather than looking like you couldn't be bothered finishing your current programme. 

 

Yeah, I'll think about it and find the best way to do it. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...