Chinese-Forums

HSK 3.0 ... new, new HSK?

realmayo

I'm sorry if this has already been said somewhere, but does anyone have any idea about how the translating part works? I mean, is it only English -> Chinese and vice-versa? There's a ton of people from minor countries learning Chinese, and many don't speak a widely-spoken language. Is the ccp making us learn English first now? ?

• Good question! 2

4 hours ago, hong long said:

We will have to wait for November, the first exam after July 1st with the new method

Who says there are new-system exams in November?  Nothing is published yet AFAIK.

4 hours ago, 大块头 said:

I compared the words on that list you generated with the words that I have flashcards for, and I found six OCR errors. I didn't check the PDF for each of the ~50 other words that I don't have flashcards for, but they all appear to be common words with multiple definitions in Pleco.

Thanks! Double-checked and merged.

With these changes my tally is 76 words that aren't covered either by PLC or by CC. (which is usually our standard - words that are built into our free app)

OK just plucking out the writing section from Level 3 (p.4) and doing a lazy WeChat translation... (click images to enlarge):

1535597761_Image05-04-2021at11_32.thumb.JPG.ab246bafc2f9bf15deed5e475a4ffbe7.JPG

IMG_7213.thumb.JPG.a368bd04f9660fd918f52ed6c020d547.JPG

So, not only testing handwriting but even stroke order! How on earth will they test that?

If they make handwriting mandatory then the computer-based exams will be out of the window... 

• Like 1

Stroke order could actually be done multiple choice easily enough. But putting handwriting in, at a low level... not keen, and I think it would have been wiser to split that off into a different stream (perhaps like the HSKK exams for speaking have been?). Theoretically, they could at least equip test centers with graphics tablets, but... that tech is even less familiar than the pen.

It's perhaps still possible that the copying bit is handwritten, and the 200 character writing task could be on the computer. Who knows? Or maybe they fudge it, and if you pass a multiple choice stroke order question they say "there, you must be able to handwrite."

So there's actually (5.8) a specific list of characters for handwriting? 300 / 400 / 500 across three levels. Which is a lot less than the 汉字表, which at least implies you aren't expected to be able to write ALL the vocab you know, and so presumably there's a computer option for the composition bits? 

Actually, a useful task for those of you having fun with these lists - make up sets of the *words* (cumulative) you should be able to write with the *handwriting* characters at each level. That'll make writing practice more fun. 

• Like 2

What they should actually have (and maybe they do, because I'm not reading the whole thing), is some kind of 'character knowledge' - stroke order, radicals, components, an awareness of simplified<>traditional issues. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hong long said:

Yes, and they already uploaded a PDF of @mikelove's word list on there featuring their own branding... presumably before the MIT license was added.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, mungouk said:

Is there any software that can measure, and then help you to improve, your reading speed?

Fun fact: This was what CTA was originally going to be, and maybe one day still will be. 

• Like 1