Chinese-Forums

Registering a Baidu account from overseas

roddy

I'm trying to register a Baidu account without a Chinese phone number so I can download stuff from its pan.baidu file-sharing service. The process is punishment in advance for the copyright violations I may possibly commit. 

1) The registration page a pan.baidu.com page sends you to won't take a non-Chinese number.

2) Baidu does have an overseas registration page, where you can select the international prefix for your phone number. Which skips from +41 (Oh lucky Swiss) to +51 (Ah, blessed Peruvians) with no mention of good old +44 (UK). I assume we've offended Baidu somehow.

3) I tried a phone number from one of those 'receive a Chinese SMS' services (receive-sms.cc/China-Phone-Number/ and don't blame me if it steals your granny's pension) and it told me my number could only register by SENDING an SMS (this seems to be 16- and 17- numbers?). 

4) I tried another one and it told me it had been used too often (抱歉,该手机号近期申请次数已达上限,请更换手机号)

5) I tried yet another one and it told me I was a security risk, and to be honest if you let me into a Baidu data centre right now, I probably would be.  

Any ideas? Would installing an iOS or Android app offer a workaround?

• Like 1

Nothing so edifying as HSK research - at the moment I'm just trying to get electronic copies of books I already have in paper format.

Using a temporary US or other number is a good shout, should have thought of that last night after the Chinese ones didn't work. Will give it a try. 

Oh, now I'm just annoyed. Grabbed a US number to try and use, stuck it in on the INTERNATIONAL registration page, filled in username and password, try and get verification code, and THEN it tells you 暂不支持海外及港澳台地区注册. 

Almost progress! If you try and sign up in the iOS app via your Apple Account (small icon at the bottom) AND find a 136- prefix number to use, it... hang on, I've linked my Apple account to some random bloke's Baidu account! So... this other bloke has at some point managed to register with that phone number? And because I'm using the same phone number he did, it's assumed my Apple account is his? Hmmm. Ok, unlinking that. 

I feel your pain... I tried to login to my "other" WeChat account yesterday and managed to get it frozen.  Now I need someone with a +86 number to unfreeze it.  I think I give up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:47 AM, roddy said:

Almost progress

Did you make any progress?  I'm in the US.  Although it will accept the US +1, it appears to want a captcha.  

Is 验证码 = captcha?   However, I see no captcha on the page.  Or is it asking for the verification code?

If I click "获取验让码“ after filling in the info (i.e., click to ask for the verification code), it gives an error that googletranslate says is "Registration is not supported for overseas and Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan regions."  (Which would be ironic since I'm using the overseas registration page.)

(Another US-based organization that is tightly linked to China recently told me the only captcha they use is the word itself (captcha) because captcha cause problems for those trying to sign in from China).  

The screen capture below is using my laptop.  One website said that using an iphone to register would likely not be successful.  However, the registration page looks the same on my iphone.  

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.35.32 PM.png

When you click, you're supposed to get a code sent by SMS to your phone number. But since you apparently didn't register with a Mainland number, it won't send the code. Don't ask me to explain why it does this on the overseas registration page, but it does.

Nonetheless, an explanation may lie in that 不支持. That is, they're saying it's a temporary block. They're saying.

5 hours ago, 889 said:

they're saying it's a temporary block.

Thanks, I didn't realize it said temporary. 

And yes, I was trying to register my US cell phone (because it gives it foreign phone exchanges as an option for registration).  

I'll try again another time.... and can test how "temporary" is temporary.  

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Have u tried logging in with a WeChat account. I too have been trying for the past year to make a baidu account. And after making a WeChat profile yesterday, I tried the baidu app today and it worked! Don’t know how much privileges I have on it yet, but we’ll  see. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/17/2023 at 6:27 AM, Hatim said:

Leaving it here in case anyone still having issues.

This looks slightly spammy (poster is linking to what appears to be their own website), but it looks like it might be useful to someone, so letting it through. If anyone tries this method and it works, or doesn't work at all, please comment here.