Chinese-Forums

radical stroke order vs whole character stroke order

Ferno

are they different?

ie the radical for 我 is 戈, but on this site http://www.usc.edu/dept/ealc/chinese/character/alpha/index.htm they split up the radical and the rest of character, doing one stroke from the 戈, then one from the part that looks like 扌, etc... (in fact, using one line for the top horizontal line of both that connects 扌and 戈 in 我)

what I am asking is if it would be wrong to write characters using the stroke orders of individual, repetative components that make up all the characters (i hope you know what i mean??)

i dont know for sure, but i am guessing that radicals/components for characters are not major parts of native Chinese studies.... they just learn how to draw characters as a whole ie "this is how you write 我, this is how you write 戈)

Right sometimes the radical form is very different from how it would have been written as an isolated character. Also the correct radical for "我wǒ I" is "人rén person,people". A 人person standing with a 戈dagger-axe to assert one's rights. But I guess determining the radical is a tricky issue.

-Shìbó :mrgreen: