Chinese-Forums

Listening practice: 我好像....

Flickserve

Here's a sentence that puzzled me lots. Those with a lot of experience will probably understand the sentence immediately

Growing_up_with_Chinese_44_1_0.1.54.836-0.1.59.359.mp3

I put the sentence up in my wechat group as a test and got a big shock when they came back with the sentence transcribed accurately

I couldn't relate what was being spoken to what the script wrote, even after listening to it many times.

好像 - xiang4 - xi sound is dropped

落在 - la4zai and not luo4zai (this one had driven me round the bend until the wechat told me of the changed pronunciation)

出租车上 - shang pronounced very softly and more like rang.

It was a good wechat teaching session

Got it on the second go without reading your prompts; usually you'd have a bit of context in a real-world situation to help you get a handle so i took the first listen as that. I have similar experiences all the time here in the village; people really don't speak like any text book but situationally you can almost always follow.

• Like 1

我好像把相机拉在出租车上。

I believe it's this, though I never would have gotten the 出租车上 part if it weren't for the notes @Flickserve wrote.  Sounds like chusheng to me. 

As for the 落 pronounced là and meaning "left behind", I was only ever aware of using 拉 for this meaning.  Also pronounced là.  Looking at pleco I can only guess they are two ways of writing the same thing but I have no idea. Can anyone confirm this? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PerpetualChange said:

What the hell!

Yeah. This series is very good training material!

The dialogue isn’t too long which makes things feel manageable 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:51 PM, ZhuoMing said:

As for the 落 pronounced là and meaning "left behind", I was only ever aware of using 拉 for this meaning.  Also pronounced là.  Looking at pleco I can only guess they are two ways of writing the same thing but I have no idea. Can anyone confirm this? 

If you go to the episode on this link, at about 4.58 , it's confirmed

1 hour ago, PerpetualChange said:

Is that actually Putonghua?

At speed with dropped sounds.

1 hour ago, suMMit said:

I couldn't believe when she said 出租车上。

The guy says it like chu -u che.

To be honest I listened to it many times and although I got 出租车, I can't hear the shang.

I think it's quite common for certain initials not to be pronounced fully (or, according to the standard putongghua pronunciation). A native Shandonger I know often pronounces xiang as hiang when she's speaking quickly.