Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

Ori

Help me understand please

Ori

Hello! I am learning Chinese on my own and I like to translate songs to add vocabulary to my knowledge but I often need to use translators. Here I have a sentence that I thought was easy to understand but I dont understand the translator's translation.  心中有爱没有不可能 to me it seems like-  love in my heart is not impossible as - in heart, have love, not impossible but the translator is saying it is impossible to have love. I guess my question is first: is the translator right. If yes how do you know what word is 没有 about?

Thank you!

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

imron
20 minutes ago, 889 said:

What "translator" are you using?

My guess is Google translate or similar, which gives:

"It is impossible to have love in my heart".

The actual meaning is something like "With love in the heart, nothing is impossible"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably parsing it as 心中有爱没有? 不可能! instead of (如)心中有爱//(就)没有不可能!

• Like 2

roddy

If you can listen to the lyrics and figure out how it's phrased (which might not be easy, I know) you can get much better results. Google translate:

心中有爱没有不可能 = It is impossible to have love in my heart

心中有爱。没有不可能 = There is love in my heart. Nothing is impossible

Of course, it's possible to get it completely wrong. 

心中有爱?
没有。
不可能!

=

There is love in my heart?

No.

Impossible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EnergyReaper
10 hours ago, Ori said:

心中有爱没有不可能

Is it from the song 《天天向上》? And the 湖南卫视 TV show host 汪涵 sings this sentence in the song.

Yes, and you'll find the phrasing at the link and time I posted above. Just listening to the song I thought it was by one of those sappy Taiwanese groups. Turns out it's a sappy Hunan group.

Ori

@EnergyReaper yes from    in the 天天向上 song. I'm really beginning to study Chinese so I get that a lot of things are going to seem confusing but this show helps with understanding.

Expert

I think you need to post the whole song or part of the song for us to have a better context of what the sentence means.

what it means depends on the whole song. If the song refers to a failed relationship, the sentence most likely refers to “ it is impossible to have love in heart”. 

Polyhistor

Never, ever get into the habit of using Google translate or anything else. It's too easy, you want to keep doing it, but the actual meaning is so rarely actually conveyed. Instead, you will often get some pretty normal looking English that has absolutely nothing to do with the original, or something that looks like it could be right, but really isn't, which will make your understanding flawed moving forward.

The only time I ever use Google Translate is when I want a laugh and I always get one.