Chinese-Forums

Syntax with 的.

Karim BE

Hello, everyone. How should I understand and translate this 研究物质的组成 in the following context:

化学是自然科学的一种,主要在分子原子层面,研究物质的组成. It's the beginning of an article about chemistry in Baidu. Here's the link: https://baike.baidu.com/item/化学/127240#:~:text=化学是自然科学的,方法和手段之一。

I understand the first part: "Chemistry is a type of natural sciencie, mainly at the molecular and atomic levels,..." But then you have "study 研究",  "matter 物质" and "composition 组成". How am I supposed to make sence of that? "Composition that studies matter"?  "Composition of matter study"? It would also make sense to me to read: "Studies the composition of matter", thinking that 物质的组成 is like the object of  研究. But if that's the case, where's the subject of  研究? If I see it like that I don't see how it connect with the words 化学 or 自然科学. And if it's an adjective clause, where's the 的 functioning as a relative prounoun? 

As you can see I'm lost with grammar and syntax. I just started studying chinese very recently and I get lost with the the syntax of long sentences. Can you recommend a website where I can read about it and practice? Thank you very much to anyone who helps me with this. Regards. 

• Good question! 1

"Physics is a natural science, most importantly studying the composition of matter at the molecular and atomic levels." Or, if it helps you understand the structure: "Physics is a natural science, most importantly engaged at the molecular and atomic levels in the study of the composition of matter."

Chinese is much more flexible running clauses together in a sentence than formal written English. Too literal a translation often makes awkward English.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1