Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2020

palmekeek

That's a very good question, but one that nobody really knows an answer too.
I used to be a CIS recipient last year and classes generally language classes start around early September. This year, normal classes won't start until, AT LEAST, mid-October. And that's with a very optimistic scenario that by that time borders will be open enough for people to actually come to China, there won't be a second-wave, China won't decide that it doesn't need foreigners after all etc. In other words many things can go wrong. 

I'm currently doing Masters degree but since i don't have classes on my second year, i wanted to sign up for Chinese language course again at my current uni (Zhejiang University). I sent them an email about the fall semester and didn't get a reply. Though that's pretty standard in China. I know that people from CSC are still getting their scholarships approval, the whole process is still going somehow, not sure how it works with CIS right now, but for the Fall semester i wouldn't be too hopeful 

3 hours ago, Jianada said:

What makes you say this? I feel like if they don't let people in for September they'll probably wait out the entire semester. 

well, first of all, i don't think the opening of the Chinese borders is so dependant on the school year, there are other people who want to enter China and not necessarily to study there. So I don't think that the Beijing government would postpone opening of the borders just in order to wait out until then next semester.
But for CIS you are right, if they don't let people in for September they will probably wait until the next semester. I was refering to general classes, people studying majors in China and those who got locked up abroad and are waiting to come back. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone.

No wonder the application process is slow this year. The application for CIS was extended to the end of June. That means Hanban or Center for Language Exchange and Cooperation(CLEC) as it name has been changed to; is now Looking at the applications materials for each candidates in order to award the scholarship. This is tough and it requires time. It usually takes about 15 to 20 days or more to complete this task. Even as that, they don't deal with everyone. some student usually get their scholarship awarded at a later time.

So let's keep our fingers crossed as we all await our awards..

加油大家。

• New Members

Hi everyone.

No wonder the application process is slow this year. The application for CIS was extended to the end of June. That means Hanban or Center for Language Exchange and Cooperation(CLEC) as it name has been changed to; is now Looking at the applications materials for each candidates in order to award the scholarship. This is tough and it requires time. It usually takes about 15 to 20 days or more to complete this task. Even as that, they don't deal with everyone. some student usually get their scholarship awarded at a later time.

So let's keep our fingers crossed as we all await our awards..

加油大家。

• 2 weeks later...

One has to wonder if you'll even be able to get into China as a foreigner. In addition to the visa issues, which are significant and a dead end for many this year, it can be hard for even Chinese citizens to find affordable and reliable flights back to China. Incredible amount of chaos this year.

• New Members

@Sudai  I applied using the original deadline (may) and I have received my results but it is possible that if, because you applied in June, the announcements of those results will come later. I received the scholarship for Hangzhou Normal University but on the site I have to fill in my CSC/CIS编号 CSC/CIS Number. Does anyone know what this is? I do have a 证书编号 written on the award certificate and this is the name number they show on the site of the Hanban but every single time that I fill this number in, the site of the uni states "number cannot be found". I have however no idea what it otherwise could be.

• New Members

@靖儿 I think the number is your 申请单编号(Application Code), but I'm also not sure. Btw, when in May did you exactly apply? I mean what date? I'm also waiting for my result, since I apply in May, but got the University approval late May. I hate being kept in the dark like this. If they decline the application, better said so than to postpone my application and showed that it is still on stage 4.

• New Members

@郑小姐 apologies, upon checking again it appears I started the application deadline on the 12th of March. When I messaged our Confucius Institute about the scholarship they said we should expect them late july or begin august so perhaps they went with region? I am from Europe. It could also very well be that I received mine because I was so early with my application. Hopefully, you will receive yours soon as well!

@knowledge.fiend on the english version of the site, there should be some sort of registration procress. I don't know what the specific requirements are for Zhejiang Normal University but if you go to your profile on the Hanban site, click on the "Examination Report" in blue and it will tell you what to do in Chinese. For example, my university told me where to apply and what I had to hand in (Foreigner Physical Examination Report etc.) Hopes this helps :)

• New Members

@palmekeek I don't know if it is possible but I would not advise it. From what I know and have been told about the Confucius Institute, they do not appreciate it when you are selected for their scholarship and turn it down without a good reason (in their eyes). It might backfire in the future. If you do not want to take the scholarship, I would advise you to still go through it and either "have troubles with arriving in China" or another "valid" reason. That is, if you still want to receive a scholarship in the future from either CIS or CSC. 

• New Members

@knowledge.fiend Thank you! Could you please update me when you get word from your university? I have emailed mine as well regarding the scholarship number thing but have not received a reply yet either. I do not know whether this is because it is China or because it might still be summer vacation in China?