Chinese-Forums

Looking for materials to learn chengyu

Diesel Dave

Welcome to the forums!  You might want to dig around here using the search box which appears top-right if you're using a desktop browser.

There are probably better, newer threads but a quick search reveals there's some discussion and links in a thread from 2010 here: 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/29431-studying-chengyu/?tab=comments#comment-232443

If you just want to dive in, there's a list of ~260 commonly-used Chengyu over here on the Pleco Forums... I'm not sure if these will work as flashcards or not once imported into Pleco:

https://www.plecoforums.com/threads/most-commonly-used-chinese-characters-and-idioms.516/

EDIT: Pleco imports them fine, looks them up in the dictionaries and marks them as "IDIOM".  I'm not adept enough with Pleco myself to work out how to make a separate flashcard deck with them in.

• Like 1

Try searching 成语故事 - there are lots of resources, typically aimed at children. For example:

名落孙山_名落孙山成语故事(典故)-成语故事-七故事儿童网

If you're looking for versions targeted specifically at second-language learners, try searching "chengyu stories" instead. Example (same chengyu):

Chinese Idiom – 名落孙山(mínɡ luò sūn shān)

Note that many of the most common four-character idioms (乱七八糟、不三不四、胡说八道、自以为是 etc) aren't usually considered chengyu, so they'll be missing from these types of collections, in favor of much less common ones like 孟母三迁.

• Like 2

More on Pleco... I just noticed this is listed in the 'store' https://store.pleco.com/products.php (note that it's a Chinese-Chinese dictionary).

Duogongneng Chengyu Cidian - $19.99

Chinese-Chinese dictionary with detailed information on about 8000 Chengyu. This is a "multifunction"dictionary, so along with definitions it includes synonyms, antonyms, historical quotes, usage notes, comparisons with similar Chengyu, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Duogongneng Chengyu Cidian - $19.99

I can definitely recommend this - it's great if you're comfortable using monolingual sources. The fact it's in Pleco helps, as each word in the definition is linked to the other dictionaries you have installed. Each chengyu has a definition (often including explanations of individual characters), a source citation in classical Chinese, an example sentence in modern Chinese, and often synonyms, antonyms, and other notes.

Example for 手不释卷:

Screenshot_20200812_123810.jpg

• Like 2

• New Members

Hi Diesel Dave,

I can recommend the Routledge “500 Common Chinese Idioms” dictionary, writen by Liwei Jiao. You can also separately download the audio files. I personaly find it very useful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 6:33 AM, Diesel Dave said:

or other learning resource focusing on cheng yu

This bilingual mooc by Sichuan University might interest you:

学成语 知中国
https://www.icourse163.org/course/SCU-1205884803

It runs for 17 weeks starting 1 September. The videos are subtitled in Chinese (simplified) and English. Other Sichuan University moocs I've followed were very well designed and  presented, I'm sure this one will be too.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your help!

I had a look at all the many sources you recommended.

The general wisdom seems to be that chengyu are an indispensable element of advanced Chinese language studies, but that beginners and intermediate learners may find their efforts better spent in conversation, vocab, etc...

I like to learn through reading and listening to stories (and there's apparently some science behind that methodology). Knowing the little stories behind Chinese words makes them easier for me to memorize and deepens my understanding of the culture. Cheng yu are a fantastic marriage of history, storytelling, literature and vocabulary. I'm looking forward to diving in in the coming months.