Chinese-Forums

Translating poetry on a xiao-flute!

JuSal

Greetings everyone! This is my first post here, and this seemed like the right place to do it, even though it's not most likely a "quick" translation.

I've been having fun with this southern style xiāo-flute I got some time ago. I also happen to be picking up four courses of Chinese this year at school, as I'm interested in learning something a little bit different and have a lax schedule for a change. That said, my teacher was a little bit too busy to help me out and recommended I get in touch with a native to translate the handwritten stuff. I think you guys are the best chance for me.

Xiāo-flutes traditionally have poetry written on them in addition to the maker's signature. I would be very interested in the poetry part, as I think I got a pretty good translation using Pleco and Google's image translation for the maker's stamp (the hanzi on the white base). The handwritten poetry however is quite difficult to get a read on, and I'd appreciate anyone's input. I have managed to translate some of the hanzi in that part too using Pleco, but can't get a nice read on it.

Looking forward to hearing more. I tried to get the pictures as clear as I could, but my phone's camera isn't that great up close.

Thanks in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 16.37.54 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 16.37.54.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forums,

As you are studying Chinese, why not post what you have done already. This may encourage people to help rather than feeling they are just giving you the answers.

I have a flute similar to this and have never been able to make a beautiful sound with it, so well done on actually playing it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the welcome, I suppose you do have a point. I am still a little self conscious about my findings as I have studied for barely a week. 

However, the first part of the maker's stamp appears to say something about a "Tao Weidong", which I'd interpret as a name, I'd love to hear if I got it right. The rest of the stamp: 精制 comes up as "refined", though I can't judge accurately if google has picked up the Hanzi correctly, or given the right meaning in the context?

Well, as for the poetry, right at the top I can definitely make out 人 for "people" or "person" I guess? Other than that, my knowledge of hanzi is very lacking at this stage.

I could make out enough of the poem to identify it as this after a search: https://baike.baidu.com/item/吹笛儿/17024967 It's by Tang poet Li Zhong.

This is the text is simplified characters:

陇头休听月明中,妙竹嘉音际会逢。见尔樽前吹一曲,令人重忆许云封。

I think 陇头 might be the name of a  collection of tunes though it also seems to be a place name and sometimes by extension used to mean the borderlands. 许云封 seems to be the name of a famous flautist http://www.cngdwx.com/tangsong/ganzeyao/284498.html

So a very rough translation, "Idly listening to Longtou tunes in the moonlight, the beauty of the bamboo grove and the sweet music combine; watching as you play beside the wine jug, it calls to mind the great Xu Yunfeng." Though I might have mangled the 见尔 there.

ETA Also just occurred to me the 妙竹嘉音 might be referring to the bamboo the flute is made of and the fine sound it produces. Also found the poem in full-form characters like on your flute:

隴頭休聽月明中,妙竹嘉音際會逢。
見爾樽前吹一曲,令人重憶許雲封。

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

I could make out enough of the poem to identify it as this after a search: https://baike.baidu.com/item/吹笛儿/17024967 It's by Tang poet Li Zhong.

This is the text is simplified characters:

陇头休听月明中,妙竹嘉音际会逢。见尔樽前吹一曲,令人重忆许云封。

I think 陇头 might be the name of a  collection of tunes though it also seems to be a place name and sometimes by extension used to mean the borderlands. 许云封 seems to be the name of a famous flautist http://www.cngdwx.com/tangsong/ganzeyao/284498.html

So a very rough translation, "Idly listening to Longtou tunes in the moonlight, the beauty of the bamboo grove and the sweet music combine; watching as you play beside the wine jug, it calls to mind the great Xu Yunfeng." Though I might have mangled the 见尔 there.

ETA Also just occurred to me the 妙竹嘉音 might be referring to the bamboo the flute is made of and the fine sound it produces. Also found the poem in full-form characters like on your flute:

隴頭休聽月明中,妙竹嘉音際會逢。
見爾樽前吹一曲,令人重憶許雲封。

Oh my, very charming. Thank you a ton for providing characters in addition to your rough interpretation, it sounds pleasant to me. It really makes me glad to have more knowledgeable people take the time to give their interpretation.

I highly doubt I would have made any real progress on this kind of detective work for a while, this really is inspiring for my studies. I just might have to check out some traditional poetry now.

Thanks a ton!

I forgot the bit about Tao Weidong, that is the name of a flute maker: https://guide.alibaba.com/t-shop/south-tao-weidong-made-a-professional-black-bamboo-flute-flute-flute-instrument-refined-black-bamboo-flute-xiao-flute-send-bulk-package_76443911.html

The 精制 means made by but expressed rather fancily, sort of like "finely crafted by".

• Helpful 1