Chinese-Forums

Teachers' pay in current situation

JJM

• New Members

I have worked at the same University in Henan since arriving in China and normally get about a 5% raise each year. I am not sure if I want to stay in China now, but am wondering if the rate of pay might be dramatically increasing due to the current situation(s) about us. Does anyone know how offers are being affected? Thanks.

Interesting question that I'm afraid I'm not sure of the answer. I'm also curious to hear anyones on the ground experiences.

My guess would be that a significant number of EL teachers have moved home (I'm assuming you teach english?) and so supply has reduced, but that demand has remained pretty steady. I'd therefore take a stab at that prices will go up.

I doubt that there will be a big shift. No matter how much salary increases, there will not be more teachers until China starts letting foreigners in again. And once that happens, people will be going back just as eagerly as before, if not more so, as jobs will be harder to come by in their home countries given the current state of the economy.