Chinese-Forums

Podcast documentary on wubi input

geraldc

Very interesting to see this topic come up on Radioshack, thanks for sharing. Was great that they managed to interview Wang Yongmin for the show too. Although it seems like it was a case of because they had him, they dedicated all their time to talking about his system, when a bit of discussion about Cangjie and Dayi would definitely have opened up a really interesting debate about how shape-based input might help character retention. I also thought it was a bit of a shame they said nothing about bopomofo, which actually existed in the Qing dynasty, although I suppose that is a bit of an aside. They also didn't explain why Wubi and other shape-based methods can still beat out phonetic-based methods, which would have actually complimented their angle on cloud-based co-editing (they are so quick they don't need to wait for suggestions!)

I forgot I had that favourited and never got round to watching it, what a fantastic talk, very interesting. I'm now typing this comment with swipe predictive and left wondering where swipe input falls into the whole hypographic spectrum

• 7 months later...