Chinese-Forums

Tattoo 'Niall'

∞保罗∞

mate of mine got this done he had no real idea what it meant - just his name Niall - he got this done by an irish tattoo guy who got it off the internet but overall think it looks pretty cool - what’s Chinese tattoo best practice ? getting a calligraphy Chinese person to design the tattoo first ? Getting it done in china ?

74DF60BB-8F85-4871-BA02-877A7C47038C.jpeg

33 minutes ago, ∞保罗∞ said:

what’s Chinese tattoo best practice ?

surely rule number one is:  don't get the tattoo.

I love the advice some people have shared here before: commission a piece of calligraphy to hang on your wall.

then its the basics like:

do I even understand what I'm getting tattooed is?

Do I know what it means to people that actually use the script as a way to live and communicate?

why am I getting this done in Chinese? why not in my own language?

if you can justify it to yourself after that then you should consider:

getting it done in handwritten script, not some computer font.

getting it done vertically, and/or in traditional, so at least it looks cool enough if the content is lacking

how accurate is the translation if it is a translation? 

If you've made it this far, congratulations, jump to rule number one to continue your adventure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

倪奥尔 

Ní'ào'ěr

Could be a transliteration of Niall I guess, but it's a pretty weird choice. Approximate English pronunciation (highlighted parts only) — need-out-art.

A more obvious choice would be 奈尔 Nài'ěr. But it still wouldn't make a good tattoo — the characters are just soundalikes and don't have any intrinsic relation to the name. Plus... getting your own name as a tattoo? I mean, I guess that'd be useful in a Memento-like situation where you'd forgotten everything about yourself...

• Thanks 1

HAhahaha super post Tomsima 

also agree strange choice of characters for the transliteration of Niall- the reason for having your own name tattooed on yourself in chinese  is probably purely for “Chinese characters look cool”. This lad has full arm sleeves and back and front tattooed so I guess after awhile your running out of ideas (and space)

While I think many of the Chinese tattoos are unintentionally hilarious, I can understand why someone would get it.

Like Shelly said of the Ogham tattoo, it does look cool, and most people would have no clue.

The same can be said about a tattoo in Chinese (unless you live in an area with significant Chinese population).

Similar to Chinese, I see a lot of people with Arabic script that make no sense or poorly written, or worse written backward or in block (Arabic is written right to left and is exclusively cursive where most letters have to be connected).

In these moments I feel a little bad for the person, but I understand that he did get his money's worth, as long as he thinks it looks cool, and most people would not detect the mistake.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you think a Chinese tattoo that you don't understand looks cool, go for it. Just do a minimum amount of research and make sure you don't have anything super offended permanently affixed to your body.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, ∞保罗∞ said:

mate of mine got this done he had no real idea what it meant - just his name Niall - he got this done by an irish tattoo guy who got it off the internet but overall think it looks pretty cool - what’s Chinese tattoo best practice ? getting a calligraphy Chinese person to design the tattoo first ? Getting it done in china ?

Normally I'm really really anti - character tattoos for people that don't understand their meaning

But, in terms of JUST the visuals of this, I like it ?

Funny thread for me this one as my name is actually Niall. I was always given 尼尔 as a transliteration but, then again, I've never had the urge to get a tattoo so I've given it very little thought over the years. Never liked the fact that the Ní was the 尼 because of the translation of this character. Each one to his own, I guess.