Chinese-Forums

Well-written prose

realmayo

Following on from @Kenny同志's helpful posts here https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/60409-general-feedback-on-translations/?do=findComment&comment=472533 :

Does he - any anyone else - have any suggestions for prose from the last 100 years that that is "well-written". By which I happen to mean:

effective

elegant

not over- or under- wordy

not too self-consciously "literary" or old-fashioned...

...but not slangy or 口語-ey either.

As a bonus, the content would be interesting.

Does this descibe a Lu Xun, an Eileen Chang? Anyone else (doesn't have to be novels)?

Definitely Lu Xun, a greater pleasure to read his prose than most contemporary writers. 

I have a soft spot for Lao She, both fiction and essays. He writes a clear, correct prose, without affectation,  with a lot of charm and wit, and an Ol' Beiping slant, that adds to his charm. 

I like some, but not all, of Yan Lianke's writings because he uses language creatively, he can be very inventive, and I like his lyricism when it surfaces. 

There are several readable essayists (whose names I have to dig up) and lots of excellent non-fiction writers. I admire Wang Li's for his clarity and directness, I wish contemporary academic writers followed his example.

Things I hate: overuse of 4-character-phrases, overuse of 3-character constructions of the ba-bing-bing type. Exaggerated 方.

• Like 1