Chinese-Forums

How to say "go over"?

philipbeckwith

For example, how would I say, "Let's go over the requirements of the assignment now"? I always say something like我们现在看一下... And it gets the point across, but I don't know if there's an easy more direct way of saying what I want to say. Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, philipbeckwith said:

Let's go over

Cool question.  I'm always amazed at the number of things I suddenly realize I don't know how to say in Chinese.  I'm also sometimes stumped when a Chinese friend asks "what does xxxxxx mean?"  I'll know how to use the phrase in English, but explaining it's exact meaning and how it differs from similar phrases can be difficult.    

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dawei3 said:

I'm always amazed at the number of things I suddenly realize I don't know how to say in Chinese

For sure, however often it might actually be the case that you do know how to say it in Chinese, you just didn't associate a certain English expression with it. With something like 'go over' its a bit more of a case of breaking apart what the core of what the message is, then looking at how you can recode it in Chinese. If you look at the answers, they're actually all fairly simple and I bet you did actually know!

11 hours ago, philipbeckwith said:

For example, how would I say, "Let's go over the requirements of the assignment now"? I always say something like我们现在看一下... And it gets the point across, but I don't know if there's an easy more direct way of saying what I want to say. Thanks in advance!

我們現在看一下(看看,看一看)作業的要求。
現在談下(談談,說下,說說)作業的要求。
現在介紹下作業的要求。

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Tomsima said:

If you look at the answers, they're actually all fairly simple and I bet you did actually know!

You described my thoughts exactly (I didn't fully explain myself) - I agree that when I learn things, I often think "oh, that's simple, I did know how to say it...."  or "it's not much different than English."  I'm often amazed that 2 such different languages use similar words & ideas to express thoughts.  

5 hours ago, Kenny同志 said:

我們現在看一下(看看,看一看)作業的要求。
現在談下(談談,說下,說說)作業的要求。
現在介紹下作業的要求。

How about 複習? can that be used ?

I'm afraid you cannot use it here. 複習 means to review (something that you've learned). In other words, if you 複習 something that you've learned, you go over it again.  So as you see, it is used in very specific contexts. 

Edited for grammatical reasons. 

• Helpful 2

I edited my previous post for grammatical reasons. 

Hmm, I am not sure if I understood ‘go over’ correctly. Anyway, if you 複習 something, you study once again something that you have studied before, with the aim of brushing up on it. For example, 複習第五課 means to study again, often on your own or with your teacher’s help, the fifth lesson after some time so you can improve your understanding of or better remember the things covered in the lesson. Therefore if ‘go over’ means, among others, a similar process, then, yes, 複習 can be used to express the idea.

• Helpful 1