Chinese-Forums

Shipping herbal cream to the U.S.

Kenny同志

Hi folks,

I know the pandemic is not over yet but my girlfriend is troubled by eczema and I want to send her some herbal cream which helped me get rid of the same condition in less than two weeks.

The cream comes in a tiny container but as it is a local herbal medication, I am sure it has not been approved by the FDA. Is there any chance of its being confiscated by the U.S. customs?  

I would appreciate it if anyone familiar with the matter could give me some feedback. Thanks.

These are USPS rules for domestic mail, not incoming international mail, but the bureaucratic wrangling of the language is amusing (that is, 很有趣):

"A liquid is any substance that flows readily and assumes the form of the container, but retains an independent volume. For the purposes of mailability, a liquid may be a cream or paste or any other nonhazardous substance (except a gas) that may liquify under existing conditions."

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_017.htm

• Helpful 1

Is this a punishable crime? in as much as will either party receive a penalty either monetary or jail time?

Is the item expensive? Could you afford to loose the cost of the item?

What I am saying if there is nothing to lose why not just send it anyway, being honest is the best thing so be honest on any  descriptions and declarations.

Either it gets there or not, as long as no one gets into trouble, it might be worth a go.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Was gonna say the same thing as Shelley. If the worst thing that can happen is that it's confiscated upon arrival in the US, then I'd try my luck. China Post may also have an objection, but seems to have become a bit more lax lately - I recently ordered some 同仁堂 cold medicine through a Taobao agent, and the agent was unsure about whether or not China Post would allow it to be sent abroad. After inquiring it turned out to be okay, at least for this particular product.

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Kenny同志 said:

bought the cream and went to the local post office and 順豐's outlet today but was told they had suspended international shipping services...

The wife has a long-standing customer for her select teas who's gone back to the US but still orders and she's been able to post packets of loose leaves to him via China Post, sent one parcel just this weekend. Are your local post office being lazy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny同志 said:

I bought the cream and went to the local post office and 順豐's outlet today but was told they had suspended international shipping services...

Could it be a mid-autumn festival thing? Or a SF Express specific thing? I currently have four packages on the way from China (the last one was posted less than a week ago) and have been receiving shipments throughout the year, but it's mostly EMS pakages. Isn't it possible for you to ship with "normal" EMS post?

• Helpful 1

I went to the post office today—did not go there yesterday because my car was broken—and was again given a ‘no’.  When I told the clerk that someone else had successfully posted things to the United States through China Postal Services, she replied that different rules might apply in different provinces or prefectures and they did not even have the forms for international shipping. She then added that they requested such forms a while ago but it was in vain.

It seems there is no feasible solution at the moment.