Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

roddy

Book of the Whenever: October 2020: 异兽志

Lu

Today, in a newspaper article about something else entirely, I came upon this illustration:

466884757_2020-10-1509_06_07.thumb.jpg.1524a497c38dc955a117749a5211a631.jpg

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

roddy

Anyone else still reading, or is it just me and Lu? @Geiko?

Luxi
4 hours ago, roddy said:

Anyone else still reading

I am, though shamefully behind, started late and still in Ch.2.  I nearly dropped in Ch.1 thinking it was going to turn into sloshy romance, but then realised it was really rather creepy. It is much better than I expected, well written and quite original, and creepy reading is very appropriate in October.

Agree fully with the comments on the language, I'm finding it quite easy to read, the vocabulary is fairly straightforward.  I purchased the e-book in 豆瓣 but got it converted and now am reading it on the Kindle app in the iPad, infinitely better than the actual Kindle and than Douban´s reader. So I am cheating rather a lot clicking with the unknown-forgotten characters.

People shouldn't be put off when starting to read it. The literary passages serve only as a short introduction to the chapter, but the bulk of the text is colloquial and quite accessible. It may have some Szechuanese influence, has anyone noticed?

• Like 1

roddy
33 minutes ago, Luxi said:

It may have some Szechuanese influence, has anyone noticed?

I don't know enough to spot that, to me it just reads slightly unusual at points. Would be very interested to hear more.

Luxi

I was just wondering if that explained some of the odd expressions. The other Yan Ge novel I attempted (我们家 ) was very 方, but of course it had to be.

SunnySideUp

I would like to join your book club once my level is decent enough (i know,  imron says HSK 6 only gets you halfway ...well, and I'm not even there yet). So just wanted to say that even though i can't participate yet, I really enjoy your posts - you've given me some ideas for what to read once i can actually move away from graded readers : )

roddy

Excellent, do keep an eye on what we're doing. 草鞋湾 is probably the best starting point of the ones we've read recently, but you'll know that. 

Back to the book: 痴心兽 - I loved this for the demonstrations and the family in peril, but felt like I was failing to follow the plot, perhaps partially as I read it in chunks and not always in quiet places. Didn't quite get how her tutor and her mother fitted in to things - or maybe they don't, who knows. 

整个城市从未如此井井有条,所有的人都喊着同一个口号,恐惧着同一个恐惧

and

闹市区人来人往,无数陌生的人和我擦身而过,我们彼此都是对方的疯子

That whole sense of a world gone scared and mad...

• Like 1

Lu

千里兽: The 千里兽 can see things a thousand miles away and know things a thousand years in the future. Unfortunately, they have gone extinct. But now, an archaeologist has discovered some 千里兽 remains, interestingly they are only some 60 years old, so apparently they haven't been extinct for that long yet? 我 never gets to meet with the archaeologist, but she does meet his very attractive (though in a 娘娘腔 way) assistant.

What I didn't fully understand:

Spoiler

江炭 was in love with the archaeologist and therefore told him about the secret underground 千里兽 village. But why did the archaeologist die? And why did 导师 die? I now wonder if 导师 was the same person as the archaeologist 蔡冲, it fits the story 江炭's mother tells about 江炭 who tried to warn 蔡冲, who in turn tried to warn the woman he loved. But 钟亮 says that 导师 met with 蔡冲, not that he is 蔡冲... right? And that still doesn't really explain why 导师 died, or was that really just an accident?

...Perhaps I should read the story again.

A few words:

弱冠 ruòguàn   a young man of about 20; to be abouot 20 years old

而立 érlì   to be about 30 years old

roddy
12 minutes ago, Lu said:

.Perhaps I should read the story again.

As much as I'm enjoying this, I do seem to reach the end of each chapter thinking this...

Lu

I usually find that most things are resolved if I read the last page very, very carefully, but in this case I think I missed a clue somewhere in the middle. You don't know either, by any chance?

roddy

Sadly, no. I'm hoping all these little lapses won't add up over time to leave us completely lost towards the end. 

Lu

痴心兽: Some twenty years ago, a scientist - the 导师, actually - invented a new 兽: the 痴心兽. They are expensive, but every child should have one, because you keep them for five years and in that time they help your children grow up with a loving heart and good grades. So 我姐姐 gets one for little 路佳. Meanwhile, demonstrations and unrest are breaking out in southern countries, and the 头头们 of 永安 sincerely hope it doesn't spread to 永安.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, roddy said:

Didn't quite get how her tutor and her mother fitted in to things - or maybe they don't, who knows.

Spoiler

我's mother died in a fire in the 荣华兽 nunnery where 我 spent part of her youth. Mother was the only casualty, but the authorities also found that she had already died of other causes when the fire happened. 我 was then taken in by the mother of her 姐姐 (so that's their relationship). 导师 made the first 痴心兽 in the image of 我, but now I'm not sure how it fits together either. 导师 must have known mother & 我. Perhaps he caused the fire? Not sure if we should have understood that already?

Mother died on the same day that the star 林宝 killed herself, probably as a result of her affair with tycoon 钟奎, who is the father of 钟亮, who was a student of 导师. But I don't think mother = 林宝, because surely then she wouldn't have had two different newspaper articles about her death.

The whole way those demonstrations were handled (sacrifice a few innocents, it's worth it to preserve our 文明 city!) and how the people reacted (they'll forget all the bad stuff soon enough!)... That can't not be about Tian'anmen, can it.

It was very, very chilling how the 头头们 were just going to have all the people in the airport killed. I was so relieved when 路佳 & family walked into the house, even though the rest of the people were still getting killed.