Chinese-Forums

Tsing Tao should change to Qing Dao

suMMit

As a Dutch speaker, and putting logic aside, ts- is better. But 1) Dutch speakers are not uniquely qualified when deciding how to spell Mandarin and 2) it's generally better not to put logic aside.

• Thanks 1

Oh, I strongly disagree with the last part... but I guess that's because I've spent too much time in China then, where logic tends to be tragically stomped on by 没办法s and whatnot ?

Lately I've been having the China blues, might as well pour one of those ludicrously-expensive imported Qingdaos that I was saving for New Year's. 干杯!

PS: Petition to make this thread the official banter thread in the forum, it has way too much potential to let it die out! 

In what ways would the coastal location and smaller urban area make a helicopter chase in Qingdao play out differently than our earlier capital scenario? Indeed, would the distance from the centre of power affect the PLAAF response?

Not sure about Peking or Tsingtao, but I myself have never actually seen a helicopter flying over Chengtu to start with. Helicopters don't seem to be a thing in China and my best guess would be due to the PLA being restrictive on that regard, but certainly there's need for them in this day & age... so do they fly at night? 

And since we are onto that... has anyone ever seen the police in China acting like their western counterparts? Violent arrests sure, but I've been told numerous times that the Chinese police will never do car chases in case someone gets hurt/killed or something gets damaged... yet I've seen many policemen throwing bags of rice onto the wheels of illegal motorcycles, so what's up with that?

23 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

PS: Petition to make this thread the official banter thread in the forum, it has way too much potential to let it die out!

This is still my favourite banter thread. It has great music.

Sorry to interject with a bit of culture ? but...

1074867014_Screenshot2020-10-08at21_15_23.thumb.png.80e709fc83f000465a2577f3b5cc9852.png

While not specifically touching on Wade-Giles vs Pinyin, episode 3 of the recent BBC documentary series "The Secret History of Writing" does look at historical issues around changing scripts in a country/culture, and has a few other very interesting nuggets along the way too. (Latinxua Sin Wenz anyone?)

More information over here in this other post.

I had this really weird dream last night where everyone who posted their mad bantz in this topic decided to start one new topic a week on a problem, useful tool or interesting article they'd come across during their time spent studying Chinese or living in China. Thankfully I awoke from this nightmare. 

• Like 1