Chinese-Forums

High-tech pig farming

roddy

Read a chunk of the book today (my 2021 book-buying ban is working a bit). Hoping to finish it off this week - if anyone wants a loan of it and promises to send it back, let me know. And probably not worth posting in its own right, but Guardian article today about fake meats in China.

Lovely book, easy to read, hard to categorise. Kind of looks at where we're going, and asks if we really want to get there. Lots of vignettes of tech-driven rural lives in China, some nice insights (I liked the bit about how if innovation actually changed anything, it wouldn't be allowed). Refreshing change from whizz-bang, look at how big everything in China is, articles. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Found this interesting open access chapter on the changing role of the pig in the post-reform era, confirms my suspicion that mass farming has reduced species diversity for one thing: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/animals-through-chinese-history/reforming-the-humble-pig/EE324B761645E0BB2AE9DC4B3DDE6DF0/core-reader