Chinese-Forums

Translate name from a whetstone

Acoyauh

• New Members

Hello, forumers

I hope someone can help me to translate, or at least transliterate (write out the right Chinese characters) so I can do a search on places like Taobao.

You see, I got this whetstone from China, and I love it, it's a miracle-level whatstone for antique metals, I want to try and buy more of them, but I cannot even start searching from them without knowing the name on the seal. My knowledge of Chinese writing is near absolute zero, so, please, I need help from some Chinese speaker to guide me.

Thank you!

(I hope the image is not upside-down)

spacer.png

It is upside-down, it says 久阴山砥 in seal script: Jiuyinshan (Jiuyin Mountain) whetstone. Quick search found people doing comparisons of such stones with other Chinese brands but couldn't find anything obvious saying where exactly it's from, seems they can indeed be bought on Taobao.

7 hours ago, 889 said:

I can't recall whether a'g has given a lesson here on how to use a Chinese whetstone; there is a technique to it.

The search I did turned up a few videos of woodworkers doing comparisons of this type of stone with others (which must admit didn't watch) so expect there's a few similar instructional things out there, seems to be quite a keen hobby community.