Chinese-Forums

English for 精加工 and 深加工

Kenny同志

Many years back, I started a thread asking people to share their views on how 深加工 should be translated. I could not find this thread. If my memory serves me right, the discussion we had under it did not lead to any useful results. But I am still curious to know how this term should be translated into English, especially because it appears in the textbook I am using. 

Any ideas, folks?

Besides 深加工, I am also interested in the translation of a similar term, i.e. 精加工.

This report by the UN's FAO uses the concept you are referring to as 深加工 literally as "Deep processing of agricultural products". The same for the Baike page you linked and other search results that pop up on Google.

If you are doing a technical translation, my advice would be to first reference the whole sentence and from then on shorten it to simply "Deep processing".

• Helpful 1

The search results I'm seeing are generally sources which wouldn't have been in English originally - Vietnam, Uzbekistan, etc. I can't see "deep processing" commonly used in English-language industry sites. 

Here we have 'further processing' in metallurgy, used for 深加工。

• Helpful 1

Yes, I agree with Roddy on this. I've tried to think of a translation in Spanish and French and then rework it into English... but no dice, still having trouble finding a better native-like equivalent for the latter.

But perhaps there's no need? After all, the concept is pretty simple and shouldn't require being super technical:

• Corn > Corn flour = rough processing
  • Corn > Popcorn = deep processing
  • Helpful 1

There's a thing called the NOVA classification that distinguishes four levels of food processing, with the most processed called "ultra-processed" or "highly processed" but that seems to be a very industrial, off-farm category - examples it gives are soft drinks and the like. The level below that, including canned goods etc is just called processed: http://www.fao.org/3/ca5644en/ca5644en.pdf#:~:text=The NOVA classification system groups all foods according,consumed or else made into dishes and meals.

• Helpful 1