Chinese-Forums

USA Criminal background check

suMMit

Does anyone know how long these take nowadays? I need it to apply for a ten year China "green card". I got a criminal check some years ago for my current employment in China. At that time I needed it very quickly, so I used an agent(they had it to me inside of a week!). It was fairly costly and I'd rather not spend the money again. The background check also needs to be stamped at the Chinese embassy in the US, so I would probably need to use an agent again(possible I could ask someone in the US to do this for me, but would rather not). Wondering if anyone has recent info on the cost and time needed for this process.

When I applied for  permanent residence, I did a criminal backround check by sending fingerprints directly to the FBI. Fingerprints needed to be done at an accredited place. I was living in Shanghai at the time and there were one or two locations that did fingerprints that could then be sent for processing (note that doing them yourself or just doing them at your local police station will not work). It's been a few years and I forgot the cost, but it wasn't cheap. After getting my fringerprints, I mailed them directly to the FBI and it took about 12 weeks to process.

I've never used a 3rd party service and have no idea how they work, but I would recommend being very careful if you decide to use one. Make sure they are accredited by the FBI at the very least.

Also, out of curiousity, why do you put "green card" in quotes? Why not just call it permanent residence?

3 hours ago, 洋人丹 said:

Also, out of curiousity, why do you put "green card" in quotes? Why not just call it permanent residence?

If it’s for 10 years is it still classed as permanent residence? 

Also, as far as I’ve read it doesn’t really give you many extra benefits or rights beyond quicker visa/residence permit processing. Is that still the case? 

If it’s for 10 years is it still classed as permanent residence? 

Also, as far as I’ve read it doesn’t really give you many extra benefits or rights beyond quicker visa/residence permit processing. Is that still the case? 

If the poster is discussing the "green card," its name in Chinese is 外国人永久居留身份证. (Foreign Permanent Residence ID Card). It comes in the form of an ID card much like the one that Chinese citizens have. It's quite literally permanent residence. The permit can be used for pretty much everything in place of a passport. Train tickets, hotels, opening a bank account, etc. With  work and education you have the same rights as Chinese citizens. 

EDIT: 

It states on the the back of the ID itself "This document serves as an identity card for the rightful holder residing in China and can be used independently as lawful proof of identity for matters relating to finance, education, health care, travel, accommodation, communication, employment, tax, social security, property registration, lawsuits, and others".

You don't need to get a visa or residence permit when you have permanent residence...you already have permanent residence. You can work or live freely without need for any kind of visa. Just like in the United States. A person with a green card does not need to then also apply for visas. 

The 10 years thing is not that permanent residence lasts for 10 years. It is that the ID card you get is valid for 10 years. After ten years you need to get a new one in the same way that any person gets their ID card, drivers license, a debit card, or other identification renewed. It doesn't mean that you need to reapply for permanent residence all over again. Its similar to a green card in the US: most people need to renew their green card every 10 years, but they don't need to go through the entire immigration process again. Even if they forget to renew it when it expires, they don't suddenly lose permanent residency in the US. All it means is that they need to renew it to have a valid piece of ID.