Chinese-Forums

Law of Increasing Returns - Learning Chinese becomes more and more fun!

杰.克

Messages like yours are important.  At different times, I felt like I was plateauing.  However, now I feel like my ability continues to improve.  Recently, I had a ~1 hour conversation with a new Chinese friend and virtually the whole conversation was in Chinese.  For me, this was a big achievement.  I also find it fascinating to converse in a 2nd language.  

Now that I can speak more in Chinese, I feel like I have more opportunity to learn because I don't have to constantly resort to using English when talking with friends (this said, there are still millions of things I don't know how to say....)

• Like 1

Yes. I agree, messages like this are very important.

Unfortunately I haven't found yet that point where I feel happy or have fun ☹️ I haven't been able to have a conversation in Chinese, even for  5 minutes and talking about simple things. I guess you need a rather high level to enjoy speaking and studying. It's normal: the more you see advance and results from your efforts, the happier you feel and thus, the more you feel like studying and improving...

I hope I can get to that point before I die... 

Thanks for your message to encourage us all.