Chinese-Forums

Learning measure words

Jan Finster

I wonder if there are any gamified ways to study measure words (other than Anki flashcards? )?

My idea would be something like a multiple choice test where you see a random word (HSK 1-6) and have to pick the right measure word from a random sample of 5-6 options.

I am sure guys like @markhavemann could program this in their coffee break, but I do not really know how to do this. ?

Whilst you could make a multiple choice test with only one plausible answer, in reality, the choice of measure word is often not unique. In informal chinese, 个 is often used for many nouns which according to text books, have their own measure words. Besides this, any noun that could conceivably be seen as a volume or quantity could be used as a measure word for something else.

Interesting idea. I originally started making cloze flashcards at one point in Anki, for example "一【股】味道”, “一【份】工作” etc. Despite being able to use 个 for most things, and some nouns taking different measure words, I still think there is value in spending time learning them, especially the interesting ones. 

I would love to make something like this but I don't have the time these days. If you have time you should think about looking into learning Autohotkey or Python (more intimidating than Autohotkey in my very limited and uninformed opinion). AHK was surprisingly easy to get going and do simple stuff.

I'd love to see a "scripts and tools" section on the site where people could collaborate on little projects like this or post little scripts and stuff that they have made or found which are related learning Chinese

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markhavemann said:

I still think there is value in spending time learning them, especially the interesting ones. 

Agree. In my experience, they are one of the things that lend authenticity to one's speech as a foreigner, they are one of the things that helps one sound more or less native. 

• Like 1

Hi have you checked out Quizlet? They have gamified learning for measure words, such as a matching card game, gravity( the word is falling and you have to type the correct answer ), flash cards , test (includes multiple choice and match section) . Also more things including the “learn” section which has the terms which you can study first with audio. 

if you go to Quizlet.com and enter ‘Chinese measure words’  you’ll find many measure word study sets, 

3BB20027-DA95-4C9F-BE6C-A2A136404B11.png

82827B19-E05B-40AC-B7EC-39A31AB6D688.png

Edited by RobynElizabeth
Added pics
  • Like 2